1911 failure to eject

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbfetty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    I have a full size 1911 and its failing to eject quite frequently. I'm fairly certain it's the extractor. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement extractor?

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    It's been a while since I messed with a 1911 that had an internal extractor, but I recall some of them being a PITA to tune properly. Your best bet would be to order one from Midway or Brownells.

jbfetty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    I ordered one from brownells that they recommended but it didn't fit well. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the difference in extractors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    First, are you using factory ammo or reloads? If your using factory rounds and having problems, take the slide off and see if the extractor will hold an empty round against the bolt face. If it's lose than you need to remove it and "bend" it to tighten the amount it holds the case against the bolt face. If you are using reloads, that could be your problem. If not, you will have to do the same thing as before. You didn't give a whole lot of info to go on.

Beauxdog

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Most likely what Beauxdog said. The extractor needs to be tuned a bit. I just wanted to also say that some parts for a 1911 aren't a drop in fit. Some will need to be fitted before they will work properly.

01coltcolt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Bossier City
    Don't forget that 1911 magazines quite often are the problem. I have fixed many 1911 by simple installing a Wilson Combat mag and the owners looked at me and said "Are you freakin serious!" But as far as the extractor it depends on the make of your gun. How old is it? Rounds count, Guess? Make of the gun or a picture would help me determine what extractor you are in need of. External or internal. Sometime slide length comes into play also. 3, 4 or 5 inch slides.

Top Bottom