1911 help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Pitkin area
    Hi. I've got a 1911 that wont eject the empty shell every once in a while. Not every mag load but at least one in every other one. Wondering where to start. Thanks for imput. Rick.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Eject or extract? If its an extraction issue first, put a little more tension on it. If it's ejection, replace the stock one with an extended ejector.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    any more info? is the extractor pulling the brass out or is it sticking in the chamber? is the pistol clean? describe exactly what's happening a little more.

Rick

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Pitkin area
    Sorry for not being clear. Shell is still in the chamber with the next round up and ready to go in. After the first time I cleaned and buffed the chamber. It may have helped a little but not much. Thanks.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    look at the extractor where it grabs the brass to see if it's worn and/or damaged (I have an old .22 bolt-action rifle with that problem). if not, and it's still sharp enough to catch the brass, adjust it a little.

is it factory ammo or maybe hot reloads? if factory, is it brass, steel or aluminum? I have a .410 that was hard to get shells out of. I assume the chamber is a little out of spec because they would stick after being fired. I wouldn't tell you to cycle unfired ammo through your pistol, but I would be curious to see if it would. do you have any snap-caps?

Rick

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Pitkin area
    The shell in the chamber is not stuck just didn't get extracted. It's new brass factory loads. Once I clear the round that is trying to load and shift the slide the spent round comes right out. The extracter looks to have a sharp clean edge with no deformities. Thanks.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    The shell in the chamber is not stuck just didn't get extracted. It's new brass factory loads. Once I clear the round that is trying to load and shift the slide the spent round comes right out. The extracter looks to have a sharp clean edge with no deformities. Thanks.
    May just need a little more tension. Its easy to do if you know what you are doing, just use the extractor slot in the slide to bend the extractor a little.

Top Bottom