1911 in 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ngarre2

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Covington
    I have always wanted a 1911, I'm not one of those people that thinks it has to be a 45. Now I'm not against it if I get a good deal, but I really don't want to have to buy another caliber, so I would like to stick to 9mm. I have been looking at the Springfield Loaded. What are your opinions of this particular 1911 or what are some alternatives with in that same price range. This will really just be a range gun, possible night stand duty if it beats out my G19.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Springfield Loaded MC Operator in .45 and an STI Trojan in 9mm. I can't think of anything negative to say about either. 9mm in a 1911 is addictive.

Cadien

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You can't go wrong with that Springfield. They are a workhorse of a gun. Triggers are usually quite acceptable from the factory. If not, that's an easy fix for a good gunsmith. In 9mm, it should be a very easy pistol to shoot. I engraved one recently for a friend and the fit and finish was darn good for the money. If you ever want to do some custom work to it, that model is a great base gun to start with. You'll be hooked! Welcome to the fold.
    Oh, and there really aren't a lot of options in that price range. It's a little hard to build a 1911 in 9mm that runs right. Most of the bargain 1911s are in .45. The one I would look for is Ruger's new one. I don't know if they offer it in 9mil but the quality is excellent for the price. And the price is below $1000. (I've been shopping around for one) Remington is getting good reviews also but I'm not fond of the finish.
    If you really get the bug and want to look into custom or semi custom guns, keep Dan Wesson in mind. Incredible 1911s for the price.

Last edited:

ngarre2

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Covington
    Now that I have been looking around, I see the Range Officer my be a good choice too. While it only comes in 45 it has a few less features but has a match barrel and is assembled in the USA

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    This question comes up a lot on 1911forum.com and it always comes down to the STI Trojan. I have 2000 flawless rounds through mine. At $1k its a great value.

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    i have a Dan Wesson PM-9. it's a great 9mm 1911 on a budget. before purchase, i was considering the Springfield Loaded 9mm 1911 as well. the build quality is ok, but no where near what a DW pistol is built like. the DW is VERY smooth and finished a lot better. if you break down the costs to bring a Loaded up to this DW, you're over the price of the DW anyway. checkering is not cheap and you have to factor in shipping, and i was going to upgrade the front sight to a fiber optic anyway, so that's about $400 in upgrades depending on where you're going to do the work. supposedly there are no MIM parts in the DW but i haven't broken it down completely to verify. i do know they use quality parts for the Thumb Safety, Bushing, and Slide Stop. the only advantage that the Springfield has is that it's chamber is a little looser and will eat a lot of different types of ammo.

Cadien

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Poor_shot, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The Dan Wesson is one of those overlooked guns in the 1911 world. Very little advertising compared to Kimber, Wilson, etc. but the quality is every bit as good as some of the higher end guns I've shot. And I mean double the price of my Wesson. The fit and finish on my Bobtail are amazing. No sharp corners, everything crisp, well polished, amazing slide fit, and a tight locking barrel. What more could you ask for. Oh, and the bottom line is it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Now I've got myself worked up and I'm thinking about another one.
    I'll post pics of my C-bob once I finish engraving it.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    My STI Trojan did not like Winchester White Box, which contributed to it's demise. STI's customer service was as phenomenal as I'd heard, I got an email reply with suggestions, including a video, in about 30 minutes. Insane!

The buyer had the same problem with WWB but last I heard it was flawless with Remington and other brands

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    What mags did you use?

My STI Trojan did not like Winchester White Box, which contributed to it's demise. STI's customer service was as phenomenal as I'd heard, I got an email reply with suggestions, including a video, in about 30 minutes. Insane!

The buyer had the same problem with WWB but last I heard it was flawless with Remington and other brands

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    What about the Kimber Pro Carry II

the Kimber is nice. but when you go w/ the Pro Carry II, you're basically looking at a Commander length 1911. i hate to say it, but it depends on what you want to do with it. if you want to target shoot and maybe compete with it, i would pick the Springfield Loaded full-size over the Kimber Pro Carry, but if you were planning to carry, i'd go w/ the Pro Carry II. the Pro Carry will be shorter and it will be lighter w/ the aluminum frame. i believe the both have ramped barrels.

ngarre2

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Covington
    I ended up ordering a Springfield Loaded Target 1911 Stainless in 9mm from Kentucky Gun Co, cost $919.99 with free shipping. A local shop had one in stock but it was $100 more so I figured I could wait a few weeks for it to get here. Now to find some more ammo.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    For $100 more you would have gotten a hell of a lot more gun with the STI Trojan. I have owned both the Trojan and a Loaded. Not that the Loaded is a bad gun. Just the Trojan is a better 1911 in most aspects including accuracy and fitting. Its why you see most guys shooting STI in competition.

ngarre2

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Covington
    I did now...where were you the other day. Just kidding, this dosen't count for much but I like the way the springfield looks more than the STI...That justifies it in my head

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I would recommend some Tripp mags. Let me know if you want me to order some, I can usually beat Tripps price, especially since their shipping is so Expensive. For .45 mags just about anything works, but Tripp mags feed 9mm like no other.

Top Bottom