1911 in 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I did now...where were you the other day. Just kidding, this dosen't count for much but I like the way the springfield looks more than the STI...That justifies it in my head

LOL you have a nice gun there regardless. The aesthetics of the Trojan do leave something to be desired, but its shootability makes up for it.

JEG

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Springfield loaded 1911 isn't bad if you can find one in 9mm. Though an STI would be far supperior. I have an STI Range Master and a loaded 1911 springfield and their is no comparision. Though the springfield is less expensive.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Any experience with the spartan. I am considering ordering either the 4.26" or the 3.24" in 9mm or .45.

Skip a 3" in .45; they are a roll of the dice as to functionality, regardless of who assembles them. In 9mm, you ought to be fine-- but 1911's don't like their original chambering in that short length.

The Spartan, though certainly solid value for the price point, is really just an Armscor put together by STI. I'm vastly too tired/lazy right now to go into the details, but suffice it to say that the Trojan is a massive leap in gun as the next step up the STI ladder.

If I were in your particular market, I'd go to Dawson Precision and order the Trojan from them. There is absolutely zero chance you'll come away disappointed once it's all said and done.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Hey, I just left Nick's Shooting Range and he has a brand new Springfield Loaded, in SS, in 9mm for $899. If I would not already have 2 9mm 1911 I would have bought it.

ngarre2

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Covington
    Well my Loaded should get here Thursday, I'll let ya'll know what I think once I get to shoot it...if only I can find some more 9mm ammo

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Well tonight my buddy offered me a really nice Kimber pro carry II with night sights and 3 mags for $700.00
    I really am considering jumping on it....
    But sin-ster you have me worried with that short barrel man.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Well tonight my buddy offered me a really nice Kimber pro carry II with night sights and 3 mags for $700.00
    I really am considering jumping on it....
    But sin-ster you have me worried with that short barrel man.

I'd be more worried with the "II" rollmark than anything else. When Kimber went "big time", their QC fell off something FIERCE.

Honestly, the slickest carry 1911 I've ever seen belongs to my father. It's an early run Kimber Compact CDP, when the "Custom" rollmark was an accurate statement. 4" Commander top end on an officer frame-- it absolutely disappears when in a decent holster, and remains EXTREMELY shootable.

There's a wealth of theories on 3" 1911s-- some of it reachable if your Google-Fu is strong. In my mind, the main point is that there's no reason to risk the issues (and cost yourself sight radius) in the first place, as the length of the barrel (once inside 5") isn't the biggest complication for concealment. Rather, the length of the grip is often problematic-- and when you can get 4" slides on frames that typically wear 3"...

stevejeff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    IMG_2686_zps3116a8ee.jpg

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Don’t know how I missed this thread.... :) I was looking for a 1911 in 9mm for target/range use a while back and went with an STI Sentry. I love it... accuracy is better than I can shoot for sure! I have shot factory and my reloads using 125gr lead and never had a problem. Someone also mentioned something about a 3 inch version..... I've got a Colt defender in 9mm. Haven’t had a problem with it. I've shot hollow points, FMJ and the same reloads as above without problem. When I first got it, I had a couple jams in the first 20 or so rounds, but after that I've had zero problems.

Since this photo of the STI was taken, I replaced the trigger with a match type and also put in an extended mag release. I also didn’t like the rubber grips that came on the Defender so I replaced them with buffalo horn.....

I just love all things 1911.... I have a few others as well. Oh well, so I'm short sighted. :rofl:

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

Top Bottom