1911 Mags - What Brand?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    What is your mag of choice for the 1911? .45 ACP of course.

I need more mags for concealed carry gun. Mine is the 7 round mag length. Considering some longer mags also that will stay on location like work, home, car. I like the .45 1911 but the round count is low & it is not the smallest gun.

I have heard both good & bad on Wilson & Mccormick. Right now I have some stainless & some blued. All are 7 round Chip McCormick Shooting Stars. They have worked so far.

I'm thinking Pangris, Rockmup & Dmiculek will be giving good info on this. Nomad & Vanilla Gorilla should be good sources also.

Thanks,
    RDO

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I use Wilson Combat 47D and Novak brand mags in my 1911 Commander when I carry it! I have heard that the follower in the Wilson 47D will eventually crap out, but I have yet to experience it for myself.

I was also given some Cobra and Chip McCormick mags, but I just use those at the range.

Thus far, I have had NO issues with the Wilson Combat 47D, Novak, Cobra, or Chip McCormick Power Mags. Check http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/ for a review on some 1911 magazines.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    I started out using some wilsons. 7 rounders. Just traded a couple of the wilsons for some flush fitting stainless mags. ALWAYS GO STAINLESS. don't waste your money on the blued mags definitely don't carry with the blued mags. (I mean, you can. But why would you when you could eliminate the chance of corrosion by using stainless) The finish wears quickly and corrosion takes over. Corrosion on the mags ends up meaning corrosion inside your magwell.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    10 round Chip McCormick's. I've got the 7 round factory Springfield in the gun when I carry, a pair of 10 round mags as backup. If I need more than 28 rounds of .45 I should be calling in arty!

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    What is your mag of choice for the 1911? .45 ACP of course.

I need more mags for concealed carry gun. Mine is the 7 round mag length. Considering some longer mags also that will stay on location like work, home, car. I like the .45 1911 but the round count is low & it is not the smallest gun.

I have heard both good & bad on Wilson & Mccormick. Right now I have some stainless & some blued. All are 7 round Chip McCormick Shooting Stars. They have worked so far.

I'm thinking Pangris, Rockmup & Dmiculek will be giving good info on this. Nomad & Vanilla Gorilla should be good sources also.

Thanks,
    RDO

Shooting stars for me. i have about 25 of them and have never had a problem. Some are 10 + yrs old and I keep most of them loaded all the time.
    JMHOP

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    McCormic 8 round SS mags. $13 from CDNN.

I've used them in 2 Gunsite classes, Competations, plinking, CCW...

This is the correct answer, If the questtion is 1911 Mags McCormick Power Mags(not shooting star) is the answer. Both the 8rd and 10rd models flat work. The "answer" used to include Wilson 47Ds but a year or so ago they stopped using Wolff Springs and since then the mags are the same. 1911 mags are expendable. Here is what I do: 1st I label all my mags with my initials and a number on the base pad and on the tube, 2nd I shoot the **** out of them to include dropping them on concrete if thats what I happen to be standing on when Thor's Hammer needs feeding, 3rd the first time a mag fails to work properly I clean it throughly the second time it fails me I stomp it flat and throw it a way. If you ever hear of me being the loser of a pistol fight it will not be because my failed me for a 3rd time. Like Nomad said they are cheap at CDNN if you can afford to shoot .45acp then you can afford to buy 6-7 new mags every year or two. When you see that guy at the gunshow with the table of used mystery mags you should eye him with contempt and keep walking.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom