1911a1 problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    hello;

purchased a used 1911a1. know nothing about this type of pistol, shot revolvers all my life. nothing is stock, appears to have an after market slide, trigger, hammer, and goodness knows what else.

the problem; pistol will almost feed a round, but the slide will not close so the pistol will fire. must hit (bump) back of slide for it to close and pistol to fire.

with slide open, tried to feed a round into the chamber, but the slide does not close, stays open @1/2’. can hit back of slide and the slide will close, pistol will fire and eject just fine. loads next round, but will not shoot. chamber appears closed but will not fire. hit the back of slide and the pistol will fire.

tried military 8 round clip and it would almost close leaving an
    1/8" gap, with federal ball. hit back of slide, it closed and fired next round fed.

having to hit back of slide to fire almost every round.

using federal 230 grain fmj ball and remington 230 grain h.p. magazines are kimbers and one mil. surp. magazine. the problem occurs with all magazines.

thanks for any input.

rp

Buck8Point

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Plaquemine, LA
    Sounds like the chamber may be caked with crud or residue.
    Try disassembling the slide and scrub the hell out of the chamber end of the barrel with solvent and a round brass brush.
    After a thorough cleaning, put it all back together and try cycling a few rounds thru the chamber and see if it has improved the issue.
    Buck8Point

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    So you're saying it's failing to chamber a round into the barrel?

rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    first thing i did when i got the pistol home was a good cleaning and lube job.

is the round completely in the chamber if the slide will not close all the way????

all i can tell for sure, the pistol will not fire unless you hit (bump) the back of the slide first when you try to feed a round into the chamber from the magazine. then it will "go bang".

rp

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I was wondering if maybe it was a "throat" issue.... Hmmmm. If it were me, I'd consider bringing it to a gunsmith and let him give it a once-over....

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Are you "riding" the slide home when checking it by hand? What happens if you slingshot the slide (pull the slide all the way back and quickly release)?

When you feed a round into the barrel by hand, you should be able to tell if it's going all the way into the chamber or not. The ass of the round should not protrude past the "hood" at the top of the barrel. If it isn't, the problem is in the barrel/chamber. If the round is fully seated but the slide doesn't go into battery, I'd check the extractor and recoil spring. Either the extractor isn't properly tuned and is hanging up on the rim of the cartridge, or the recoil spring is not strong enough to get the extractor over the rim.

ETA: I sure hope you're doing this with dummy rounds or snap caps. No offense, but you should really take the time to learn how the 1911 functions before you start worrying about how to fix it or throwing rounds in it and banging on it.

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    My first suspect would be the recoil spring. I pulled up one of the army .45 tech manuals to see what the specs are. They specify that the recoil spring should be no less than 6 inches long and no longer than 6 7/8 inches, with 28-32 coils (including half coils). In another place they describe the recoil spring as supposed to be 6 1/2 inches free length.

I had a similar problem with a colt .45 but the spring length was OK, so maybe spring length is not the deciding factor. I finally just bought a Wolf spring pack from Brownells and problem solved. I seem to recall that the 18 pound recoil spring was what worked.

You might also check for burrs by running a cotton ball over all of the parts. A burr will pull cotton threads off the ball.

Just an after-thought. You might assemble the slide onto the frame, without the barrel installed, and check to see if there is a tight spot in the frame/slide rails that is restricting movement. Just slide the parts back and forth to see if any restrictions.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The correct spring weight for a standard 5" 1911 is 16lbs. I would try that first, a heavier spring may make the gun function but it's a bandaid fix at best.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    hello;

purchased a used 1911a1. know nothing about this type of pistol, shot revolvers all my life. nothing is stock, appears to have an after market slide, trigger, hammer, and goodness knows what else.
    If the slide is not original, the pistol is probably out of time or the barrel lugs aren't fit correctly. The fix COULD be as easy as changing the barrel link.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Where are you located. If in the BR area then bring it by the store and lets look at this thing. If not then take it to a gunsmith for a check-up. Something is not right or someone may have worked on this gun before. Give me a call @ 225-389-6077.

Bryan

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If the gun won't go into battery under spring tension, but a simple "tap" gets it running again, I'd put my money on the recoil spring as well. Cheap and easy fix-- and upgrading never hurts, so there's really no such thing as "wasted money" in this regard.

Top Bottom