1954 M1 Garand

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    So I decided to post a little about my new toy that followed me home a couple weeks ago. :) This is my first Garand and I can see why folks love them so much! This was not from CMP nor did it have any other pedigree papers… so it is what it is.

As far as I have been able to determine, it’s a Springfield ’54 probably late in the year. All parts are correct except the sight parts…. the windage knob is DRC and elevation is HRA so I don’t know if that was swapped out at some point during its life or did SA use other manufacturers parts? Everything else is SA. The barrel is also dated 54. The rifle doesn’t appear to have had many rounds down the pipe as the barrel had an ME of 0+ and TE of 1. All the parts showed little to no wear marks at all. The end of the op rod had just the hint of fouling on it. About the only part that had any wear on it was the bolt ears and possibly from racking it back. The stock has no import marks, but does have the correct DOD stamps. Also the stock has a few dings here and there.

There was no grease anywhere but did have remnants of cosmoline inside which I have since done a total disassembly of all parts, cleaned and greased or oiled appropriately. Cleaned the stock and rubbed some boiled linseed oil on it.

Here are lots of photos of it as I got it but before cleaning. :) Oh and I brought it to Honey Island weekend before last… shot like a dream! Very accurate.

And last but not least the M5 bayonet in case I run out of bullets! :rolleyes:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Great job! Good looking garand! Check the back of the barrel nut, it may be marked as well. I'll check and see if I have a SA marked rear sight knob. I know I have a few parts left, but not much.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Looks great!
    Why boiled linseed oil and not pressed raw linseed oil. My understanding is the raw takes longer to dry but dries with a darker red patina.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Looks great!
    Why boiled linseed oil and not pressed raw linseed oil. My understanding is the raw takes longer to dry but dries with a darker red patina.

Only because after doing some research on what to use, that boiled was what most folks use. I really didnt have anything else to go on. I put two coats on one night and by the next day it was good to go. I dont think it changed the color. It was dark to begin with.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Congrats on the addition. Where did you pick it up at? I'm going the CMP route. Currently right around 60 days wait. Sometimes I forget I have a significant charge coming at one point or another. Love to see it at honey island sometime.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Yep a Garand shoot...IN !!!!!!
    But I'll probably be working.
    I think I'm going to go with raw linseed oil on a walnut stock cause I love the deep rusted red patina.

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    You definitely got a great one. My ol' CMP Dane pales in comparison. Congrats! As UMC-NAV said be careful, you might just break out with terminal Garanditis. I hear it can be as severe as Lugeritis. :)

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Congrats on the addition. Where did you pick it up at? I'm going the CMP route. Currently right around 60 days wait. Sometimes I forget I have a significant charge coming at one point or another. Love to see it at honey island sometime.

I got it from someone that knew someone..... etc.... :) anyway, I paid a bit more than a CMP but I think I did alright. Bottom line is I'm happy. So are you still planning on driving to CMP or ordering it? I'm still thinking of the road trip anyway...
    I might be heading back to HI on Sunday but that may change.

Yep a Garand shoot...IN !!!!!!
    But I'll probably be working.
    I think I'm going to go with raw linseed oil on a walnut stock cause I love the deep rusted red patina.

Garand shoot! I'm in! I was thinking about going to the Garand clinic at Honey island on Memorial day.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    You definitely got a great one. My ol' CMP Dane pales in comparison. Congrats! As UMC-NAV said be careful, you might just break out with terminal Garanditis. I hear it can be as severe as Lugeritis. :)

Its funny you say that.... I haven't had this one but a few weeks and I've already been thinking about another one..... How are you doing with the Lugeritis? :rofl: You got the bug for a P38 yet? :)

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    Its funny you say that.... I haven't had this one but a few weeks and I've already been thinking about another one..... How are you doing with the Lugeritis? :rofl: You got the bug for a P38 yet? :)

Waddya mean got the bug for a P38 yet?!?!? I've had it forever. Don't know why I haven't put one in the stable yet. Just a matter of time though. :)

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Great job! Good looking garand! Check the back of the barrel nut, it may be marked as well. I'll check and see if I have a SA marked rear sight knob. I know I have a few parts left, but not much.

Hey my friend, thanks much for the offer ;), but I'm just going to keep it as is. Dont fix what aint broke and all that! :)

Top Bottom