1st Ever Buck

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Used to hunt every year but when my son went into the Army in 2005 I sort of lost interest as he was my hunting partner since he was about 7. As the years went by he and I would always say one year we would go someplace and hire an outfitter and have the hunt of a lifetime. Well this Christmas my son was home on leave and surprised me with a deer and hog hunt at Cypress Creek Hunting Lodge in South Carolina. It was his Christmas gift to me. We packed up our gear Dec 27th and headed east at 4:30 AM for what would be the time of my life. I don't know who enjoyed themselves more him or me. We arrived at the lodge late Thursday evening and after checking in were treated to a fine roast pork shoulder dinner with all the trimmings. We hooked up with my son's good friend also in the army and his dad for the 3 day adventure. Up at 4:30 Friday morning we dressed and met the other 8 hunters at the lodge, ate a hot sausage and biscut breakfast then were transported out to our stands by the staff. It was cold as can be and by the time they came to pick us up at 10:30 I was frozen. Didn't see anything that morning or evening. Friday night came a huge rain storm that lasted into saturday morning. My son went out to hunt but I elected to stay at the lodge as I knew I'd be miserable out on the stand. Can't take the cold much these days let alone a wet cold. So after they left I kicked back and enjoyed the comfort of the lodge. They came in empty handed and I was glad I'd stayed behind. Saturday evening was very windy but dry. Still no deer or hogs. Sunday morning we repeated the prehunt ritual and as I sat in my stand I had all but decided I wasn't gonna be bringing home any meat. As I was watching the far end of the field I caught a glimps of something out the corner of my eye to my right. When I glanced in that direction I saw two doe's crossing the road but I didn't have enough time to get my rifle up. Looking back down toward the back of the field I saw something moving and saw a glint of sunlight off an antler. I got my rifle up and the deer started moving out of the field and into the woods. No time to determine rack size or count points so I centered the crosshairs on his shoulder and pulled the trigger as he moved toward the woods. He didn't flinch but took off at a dead run. I waited about 45 minutes then got down and went to look for blood hoping first I'd find some then that I'd made a good shot in my haste. Sure enough I found some blood so I waited for the guide to come pick me up and we followed a not so clear blood trail about 30 yards into the woods where we found a nice 8 point dead as a hammer. Apparently I'd made a good shot afterall. A little high but a good kill all the same. Later that day my son killed a nice doe and we brought home a good bit of meat to be processed. My buck weighed 140# had an inside spread of 15-5/8" and scored 112 overall. A nice simetrical rack. Found little bits of greenery embedded in his antlers as well indicating he'd been rubbing. Brought the meet home but left the head to be mounted there. I should get it sometime this summer. I am so greatful to have spent this hunt with my son again after all these years. He will be stationed at Fort Hood for the next year then is getting out of the army after 3 deployments to Iraq and 1 to Afghanistan. We decided we'd hook up with his buddy and his dad again next year to do it all over again. Perhaps I should mention this was the first buck I had ever harvested. My first deer was a doe back in 1968 and I have been on the hunt for a good set of antlers since. I am glad I was able to do it on a hunt with my son once again.

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

Proud Father and Son

IMG_1090.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Good for you! First buck at 62 years young.

My dream is for my kids to be successful enough in life to take me hunting and fishing when I am too old to take them. That's special!

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks guys. It was a very special time spent with my very special son I will cherish the rest of my life. God willing we will make many more hunts together in the coming years but this one will always be the extra special one.

I like the comment about sending this pic to Diane Fienstein. Perhaps I will. And by the way, the rifle has only had 5 rounds through it. 4 rounds to DOPE the scope and one for the kill shot. Great way to christen a new rifle don't you think!

Top Bottom