1st match jitters - chrono

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gravityBad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Gator Classic will be my 1st chrono match and would have to say i am a little anxious.

I want to make sure i have enough margin for any variances. Here is my game so far...tell me what you think.

G17
    MG 124 JHP
    Titegroup 4.2g
    PF 130 (90deg day using ProChrono at recommended distances)

I plan to take this to the range tomorrow morning when its about 76-80deg and see what happens.

With the limited info i've given, any thoughts on whether this is enough cushion as it stands? Any other recomendations? This is all new to me and
    I don't know enough to know if i am even asking the right questions.

Thanks

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Gator Classic will be my 1st chrono match and would have to say i am a little anxious.

I want to make sure i have enough margin for any variances. Here is my game so far...tell me what you think.

G17
    MG 124 JHP
    Titegroup 4.2g
    PF 130 (90deg day using ProChrono at recommended distances)

I plan to take this to the range tomorrow morning when its about 76-80deg and see what happens.

With the limited info i've given, any thoughts on whether this is enough cushion as it stands? Any other recomendations? This is all new to me and
    I don't know enough to know if i am even asking the right questions.

Thanks

The right questons? I have no idea, but so far I was wondering if you were preparing for a shot match or a NASCAR race. :eek3:

I hope it's not that complicated. :(

gravityBad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    The right questons? I have no idea, but so far I was wondering if you were preparing for a shot match or a NASCAR race. :eek3:

I hope it's not that complicated. :(

With my limited experience, it seems like a perfectluy resonable question to ask. sorry I dont know whether your reply is saying I am making a mountain out of a mole hill or if you dont know the answer. I would rather throw the question out there and try to understand whether Titegroup's temp response is negligable or whether chrono match shooters aim for a PF that gives them a buffer. Would your response be the same if my PF was 126...127...128...?
    please dont take my response the wrong way...my panties are not in a wad:)

Last edited:

gravityBad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    You technically only need that for the BIG matches where they will randomly check ammo, the weekend matches its a no worries LOL.

I guess im still too new to this game to think this is not a BIG match. Its the biggest i will participate in so far. My impression was that there was chrono stage at the Gator. Am i wrong? Are you referring to big matches as Section / State championships, etc?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I guess im still too new to this game to think this is not a BIG match. Its the biggest i will participate in so far. My impression was that there was chrono stage at the Gator. Am i wrong? Are you referring to big matches as Section / State championships, etc?

Sorry yes you do need to make the power factor for the Gator, I was answering to the other guy who asked if you were speaking chineese LOL

chbrow10

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ocean Springs, MS
    For Minor, I like to load to 132-135, since if you don't make it, you shoot for no score. At least with Major, you can always fall back to minor PF if you don't make it.

As to the suitability of your particular load, i have no idea. However, I personally believe that brand of chrono has a lot to do with it. I have a cheap chrono, and the match chronos are usually the more expensive PACT or CED. I have seen a lot of variation between my chrono and the chronos at the 4 major matches I have attended. At the 2009 Magnolia Classic, I chrono'd at 165.4 PF for a load that had been 172 on my chrono.

My solution? Load conservatively. We are going to the Gator with 135+ loads for the boys in their G34 and 174 PF for my single stack gun.

just my two cents...

Last edited:

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    go for the 130-132 power factor (his will give you enough variance for the temp. diff)and dont worry about it. I always shoot for 5 over. most of the chronos showed faster than what i was getting off of mine.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    With my limited experience, it seems like a perfectluy resonable question to ask. sorry I dont know whether your reply is saying I am making a mountain out of a mole hill or if you dont know the answer. I would rather throw the question out there and try to understand whether Titegroup's temp response is negligable or whether chrono match shooters aim for a PF that gives them a buffer. Would your response be the same if my PF was 126...127...128...?
    please dont take my response the wrong way...my panties are not in a wad:)

You answered perfectly because my response was out of pure inquisitive admiration. It is looking to be more complicated than my tolerance for a hobby will allow. I used to build furniture for hobby, now I would rather clean my 9 for the 20th time. You are a respectable and moderately tempered man. Good luck at the shoot.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Here are my questions.

1) How may shots did you shoot to get your velocity?
    2) What was the high and low velocity in the group?
    3) Have you actually pulled and checked grain weight on your bullet?

I think you are going to be fine, but to reassure yourself do this.

Randomly grab 10 rounds from your bag.

Pull three bullets and check that the grain weight is "as advertised."

Shoot the other 7 through the chrono.

Calculate PF using the lowest bullet weight and the lowest velocity.

If that makes 125.00 PF you're good to go.
    That should be your worst case possible.

If the low numbers make 124.99, increase your charge.

Good Luck.

P.S. - Actually, your ammo can be pulled and chronoed at any match. Local, State or National. Once you have a load your are sure makes PF. Stick with it. Don't load down for local matches. People who do that don't realize that they are changing the cycle speed/rythm of their gun. Not an issue if you shoot slowly, but if you shoot slow, what are you doing in this game?

Top Bottom