1st Offender Pardon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    From Buddy Caldwell
    #15-0154
    Louisiana Revised Statute 14:95.1 prohibits certain listed felons from possessing
    firearms until ten years have passed since the date of completion of their sentence,
    probation, parole, or suspension of sentence without the conviction of any new felony.
    This prohibition is unaffected by the receipt of a first offender pardon under La. Const.
    art. IV, § 5(E)(1) and La. R.S. 15:572(D). Once a felon cannot be prosecuted by virtue
    of La. R.S. 14:95.1(C), his civil rights have been restored as they pertain to a prior
    Louisiana conviction such that the felon cannot be prosecuted under 18 U.S.C. §
    922(g). (Clark)
    Op to Honorable Nancy Landry, State Representative, District 31, Lafayette, LA
    Date Released: December 17, 2015

Attachments

• 1stOffenderPardon.jpg
      1stOffenderPardon.jpg
      95.1 KB · Views: 153

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    So one could legally own a firearm on state level but not federal, because they are could no obtain a cca correct.
    Does louisiana law enforcement arrest such a citizen, that owns a firearm but doesn't carry?

How does this work

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    The way I read it, the state doesn't care either. The 1st offender pardon does not restore the state's recognition of your right.

Read it again, a few times if you have too. It is saying that once 10 years past the completion of sentence assuming no new felonies are committed you cannot (and it uses the word cannot twice so it's perfectly clear) be prosecuted.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The way I read it, the state doesn't care either. The 1st offender pardon does not restore the state's recognition of your right.

That is exactly how i read it.

"This prohibition is unaffected by the receipt of a first offender pardon under La. Const.
    art. IV, § 5(E)(1) and La. R.S. 15:572(D)"

To me that says even with a pardon, still must wait for the 10 years.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    That is exactly how i read it.

"This prohibition is unaffected by the receipt of a first offender pardon under La. Const.
    art. IV, § 5(E)(1) and La. R.S. 15:572(D)"

To me that says even with a pardon, still must wait for the 10 years.

Wait, yes I'll agree the 10 years is required. But the point of my OP was 10 years are not the Feds don't respect the law here.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    I researched the federal stance on this after I read this post.
    There are more than a few state that allow firearm right restoration; for non violent felony convictions,; and a 10 year violation free period. This year the fed government voted, the same. Except the offender has to request restoration from the atf. (And more than a few rights have been restored)
    The NRA pushed for this on the federal level, believing reformed offenders of non violent crimes has the right to defend their love ones and property.
    My question, does louisiana prosecute "state legal" possesions?
    Does federal dictate on a state level?

coance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2014
    Haughton la
    This year the fed government voted, the same. Except the offender has to request restoration from the atf. (And more than a few rights have been restored)

Where did you find out about this "vote" ? I would like to hear anything you have on this. My understanding is that the congress has defunded the ability of the ATF to process these request.

Last edited:

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504