2 questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • critta

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metairie
    I have two questions I'm hoping someone can help out with.

First one: Can you carry more than one concealed handgun with a LA CHP? I only ask because there have been a few times when I'll go shooting out at Shooter's Club in Metairie and on the way home I'll stop at the dumpy Wal-Mart on Vets. I keep one loaded and the second I unload and just carry it in - in case someone breaks into my truck they don't steal my gun. That would be the only time I would carry 2 guns just wondering if I could get into some kind of jam if I am caught with 2 concealed handguns on my person?

Second question: I know you have to inform an officer who approaches you in an official manner if you have a weapon on you. Being pulled over for speeding etc.... What if I am with my fiancee' and she's driving and gets pulled over for speeding? She is the one being pulled over and the officer never approaches me. I am not the one he's stopping - I'm just along for the ride. What should be done? Lean over and give him my permit and just let him know or what? Just wondering if anyone has gone through that before. She's got a lead foot and it's just a matter of time until it happens.

Thanks

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    You aren't restricted on the number of guns you may carry concealed. Hopefully you checked Both on the form asking for Revolver Pistol Both. That way you are covered for anything you may carry.
    If I were a passenger that was stopped, I would roll window down and notify the officer(s) as they approached that I am a CCW holder and have a loaded firearm on me.
    My 2¢

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I have two questions I'm hoping someone can help out with.

First one: Can you carry more than one concealed handgun with a LA CHP? I only ask because there have been a few times when I'll go shooting out at Shooter's Club in Metairie and on the way home I'll stop at the dumpy Wal-Mart on Vets. I keep one loaded and the second I unload and just carry it in - in case someone breaks into my truck they don't steal my gun. That would be the only time I would carry 2 guns just wondering if I could get into some kind of jam if I am caught with 2 concealed handguns on my person?

Second question: I know you have to inform an officer who approaches you in an official manner if you have a weapon on you. Being pulled over for speeding etc.... What if I am with my fiancee' and she's driving and gets pulled over for speeding? She is the one being pulled over and the officer never approaches me. I am not the one he's stopping - I'm just along for the ride. What should be done? Lean over and give him my permit and just let him know or what? Just wondering if anyone has gone through that before. She's got a lead foot and it's just a matter of time until it happens.

Thanks

You will get different answers on both of these.

1. it doesn't matter what you check for the application. Check whatever you receive training in. That is strictly for data collection pruposes and does not restrict you to any particular make, model, or caliber gun.

2. You have to inform a leo if approached in an official capacity. Technically, as a passenger, you are still under the limited control of the leo. many will advise you to keep your mouth shut, but if you are later involved with said leo, it will not put you in a positive light that you "hid" the gun from him.

Most on here have had positive leo experiences with CHP, except for the occasional disassemble.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I don't know how anyone could answer differently on question one. You can carry back up handguns, sure. i don't even see the "pistol/revolver/both" in the original post so i dont know why that was even addressed. :o

Question two is iffy. If I'm a passenger and LEO pulls over driver he has not, in my opinion, approached me in official capacity. i'd think, if anything, LEO would become nervous or suspicious if a passenger tried to address him and, in his eyes, take his attention off the driver for any reason. if I'm asked to step out, asked to provide identification, etc then at that point I would notify since at that point I am being "approached" in official capacity.. obviously i would keep my hands visible at all times.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Pardon my ignorance but my CCP says nothing about revolver/pistol/both. That may have been something I filled out when I did the paper work. What's up with that?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Pardon my ignorance but my CCP says nothing about revolver/pistol/both. That may have been something I filled out when I did the paper work. What's up with that?

The new version of the application asks you to check what type of weapon you have received training in: pistol, revolver, or both.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    We were told by the instructor at shooter's club that if you were pulled over you were only required to inform the officer if you stepped out of the vehicle because your car is an extension of your home. I will hand over the permit with my drivers license but that is what he said to do.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    as a former LEO, i would appreciate knowing, BUT I WOULD NOT HAVE CARED IF YOU DID NOT....
    i just didnt think it was that big of a deal, since I treated everyone as armed until i could PROVE differently

insert asshatery in 3...2...1...

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am not 100% sure of what I would do in situation #2. If I really thought about it, as the caar I was in was being pulled over, I would possibly get my CHP out and hand it to the driver, so when the officer approached the vehicle and asked the driver for their license, they could hand my CHP over as well and say that it was mine. I don't think an officer would have a preoblem with that. I would rather be upfront in the easiest way possible rather than risking making things any more difficult than they need to be.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I am not 100% sure of what I would do in situation #2. If I really thought about it, as the caar I was in was being pulled over, I would possibly get my CHP out and hand it to the driver, so when the officer approached the vehicle and asked the driver for their license, they could hand my CHP over as well and say that it was mine. I don't think an officer would have a preoblem with that. I would rather be upfront in the easiest way possible rather than risking making things any more difficult than they need to be.

I don't know if it is necessary... but I find this to be a good course of action.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom