20" or 24" heavy barrel AR??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So, I have this rifle kit on order....still...since April. I ordered a 24" kit, but the more I think about it, I wonder if the 24" is too long for anything other than prone long distance stuff. It is a heavy barrel kit, 5.56, with a free float and a flat top set up.

I have a 16" A3 that I use for tactical type training/competition, but I ordered this for a longer distance reach out and touch ya gun. I almost feel like the 24" might be too long, but I don't know anyone with one to try out as far as movement between shooting positions and such where the longer barrel might encumber me.

Anyone have a 24" heavy barrel? And their opinion of it? Or should I fall back to a 20" and have the best of both worlds (the heavy target barrel and the shorter length for ease of movement)? Kit should be shipping in a few weeks finally, so if I am going to make a change, I have to do it now. Any advice in the long gun tactical world would be helpful. Thanks...

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I have an 18" heavy barrel, when I get some extra money I will swap to a 24" sabre barrel.

I thought 18" would be better, all I do is shoot this rifle from prone or a bench.

The 20" would definitely be better for ease of movement.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Why would you want to try and punch a .223 out beyond its mechanical limits? 20" is pretty much maximum. Beyond that it is just fluff and weight. My 2¢

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have had the 24'' and 20'' and by far I liked the 20'' much better. Its not too heavy in the field even though its still pretty heavy. You can still get it in and out of places. The 24'' was just too long and in the way.

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sounds like my second guessing is right then....will see if I can swap the order out to a 20". I want to be able to move with the gun, so it sounds like it will be better that way. Especially after your feedbacks. Thanks for the input!

Whose goin' to the IDPA match on Saturday in Amite?

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I changed it to a 20" barrel on my order. I think it will serve me better being a little shorter because I don't plan on being stationary with it. Gotta be able to move to survive in a real fight, and the 24" would just get in the way too much.

Planning on getting a Remington SPS or VTR in .308 for anything that I may possibly need to reach over 200-300 yards.

Top Bottom