2010 Gator Classic

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Does anyone have contact information for the JROTC instructors? I wanted to make a point to thank them for their participation this weekend, but they weren't there Sunday.

The Central Lafourche High School JROTC was the program at the match.

The Instructors are:

Maj. Sabala and Sgt. Dubois

The Mailing address is:

4820 Highway 1
    Raceland LA 70394

chbrow10

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Coolest thing, for me, in the match thus far: watching a bunch of Juniors, including some real young 'uns, running Stage 6 (an E ticket ride) on Saturday. They handled all those ports and a door safely and with superlative gun handling skills. Really put a :D on my face. Great job guys and gals, and my compliments to the folks who taught you well. :thumbsup:

Curtis

Curtis,

Thanks for the kind words, the kids had a real good time.

Chris

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    One observation from Stage 6. Y'all who shoot competitively, think carefully about how you run a stage with a door that opens. We had one DQ due to sweeping (the competitor was absolutely convinced that the gun was kept high and right...the actuality was otherwise) and at least three who were within one inch of sweeping themselves. I'm not counting the one that occurred so blazingly fast that it was impossible to be sure whether sweeping occurred or not.

Word to the wise: if the gun is held at eye level approaching a door, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you can sweep yourself reaching for that door handle. You're also in better position to quickly acquire the targets on the other side since the gun is already at eye level.

For most shooters A class or below, when you're dialing up the speed things happen faster than you plan sometimes, the gun is back to avoid the door and you may not move the gun out of line with your hand in time in your rush to grab the door handle.

I've seen it time and time again at major matches. When you eliminate mistakes from newcomers to the sport, it's often B (or new A) level shooters who get themselves into trouble with DQs for 180 violations or sweeping. They are at the level that they are dialing up the speed but still learning the fine-line control to pull it off 100 percent of the time in situations where they are exploring the edge of their limitations.

When I was roadracing motorcycles the same thing occurred. Most of the crashing occurred from newbies who were riding completely over their heads or competitors at the upper-mid skill level. These upper-mid skill level riders keep dialing in the speed but hadn't found their limits until the pavement gave them a painful kick in the butt.

Last edited:

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    One observation from Stage 6. Y'all who shoot competitively, think carefully about how you run a stage with a door that opens. We had one DQ due to sweeping (the competitor was absolutely convinced that the gun was kept high and right...the actuality was otherwise) and at least three who were within one inch of sweeping themselves. I'm not counting the one that occurred so blazingly fast that it was impossible to be sure whether sweeping occurred or not.

Word to the wise: if the gun is held at eye level approaching a door, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you can sweep yourself reaching for that door handle. You're also in better position to quickly acquire the targets on the other side since the gun is already at eye level......

+1. I had to DQ one for the same thing. Hand got swept on the door. Several others were close (as you describe).

I also think I talked to the competitor you DQ'd. Asked me about the position and whether it would be a DQ.

Keep the gun at eye level (gangster style helps too) and all will be good.

chbrow10

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Ocean Springs, MS
    One of the many things that I learned at this year's Gator is that forward falling poppers are evil. Talk about messing with your mind. And the stage designers that place 1 forward falling popper with 5 rear falling poppers are especially evil.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    One of the many things that I learned at this year's Gator is that forward falling poppers are evil. Talk about messing with your mind. And the stage designers that place 1 forward falling popper with 5 rear falling poppers are especially evil.

Evil = Good :D

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Gotta call the shot and move. If the popper doesn't go down, call for calibration. Either you didn't call the shot correctly or it's out of calibration. Time wasted on waiting on a popper could add up to more than a miss.

CliffCargill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Congrats on your B class win and sectional state championship. You worked hard for it, and you deserve it my friend. Now enjoy it.

Best,
    Cliff
    L-1610

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Excellent match! Thanks to all involved, the only thing I would change is that I get a new spine for next year!:rofl:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Excellent match! Thanks to all involved, the only thing I would change is that I get a new spine for next year!:rofl:

Given the option, I'd probably change the amount of attention I paid to the requirements of the WSB on "Hail Mary" and a couple of other painful brain farts :(

All I saw from Thursday on were great attitudes and people I enjoyed spending time with...sure wouldn't change any of that. Especially enjoyed working with Spanky and geauxshooting on Stage 6...as fine an R.O. crew as I've ever had the pleasure of working a match with. :thumbsup:

ENVPMBR Shooter

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La
    I had a great time. I know this was my first level 2 match to RO and I did make some mistakes. The two RO's that were with me on stage 11 were great and I look forward to working with them again and working another major match.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Want everyone to know just how much I appreciate the GREAT JOB that the RO's on Stage 3 did.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH,
    Larry Danner, Robert Jones and John Duplantis
    for all of your hard work and the great effort you put into this match.
    It was a pleasure working with you. Y'all ran like a a well oiled machine, and 250 shooters with no reshoots and no scoring issues speaks for itself.

Sure hope y'all are in for next years staff.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    It's been quite a long time since I've shoot a match as a competitor and not a match official. It is now very evident that it takes a ton, or two, of hard work to get that many folks through 12 stages smoothly. Wanna thank all involved for a very enjoyable weekend. I may not have finished the match (insert kicking self in butt smiley) but I won in more ways than one!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ehatger1456
    Top Bottom