2015 Subaru Outback AWD vs 2015 Jeep Patriot 4x4 Trail Rated

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    subaru.... Not a big fan of "non-wrangler" jeeps. They seem to be fairly low quality (except the interior of the loaded grand cherokee's). But also you don't often see "older" jeep liberties and patriots on the road.... Guess they aren't making it.

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    I'd go with the Subaru. They have long since nailed 4WD. I have a Jeep Patriot albeit 2WD and believe me, it's not a real jeep. Every time I pull onto a gravel or dirt road the Patriot shudders in fear. Go with the Subaru.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    If you are comparing a Subaru to a wrangler, just buy a prius! 2 totally different classes and aimed at totally different people. 1 thing for sure, nothing holds value like a wrangler. In 6 years, you wont lose half as much as a Subaru. If you need something to drive to hippie gatherings, gay bars and democratic conventions, go for the Subaru!

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    And quit adding trail rated to the moniker. Find me a wrangler that isn't considered trail rated (and no, not counting the poser 2wd mistake they made for a couple years).
    The terminology you are looking for is JK or JKU.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've heard poor things about Jeeps in general so I try and stray from them.

I'm also not really a fan of Subarus, but that's just me. I know they're great cars, I just don't like them.

Any other options?

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    EVery vehicle has some bad ones, some vehicles are just lemons. Subaru are expensive to repair, jeeps are cheap. Jeeps hold value better than any vehicle sold. Period. Well. wranglers anyway. Patriots, new Cherokees, liberty, etc are not really jeeps. They are far more dodge neon than Jeep.
    I have a 98 tj with 195k on the clock and I will guarantees the last few thousand are harder than any 100k put on a regular vehicle (there are members here that will vouch for it). I will challenge anyone to a battle of rev limiters with it.

It is about what you want. see my above posts

Dblb

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2014
    Westwego
    +1 for the outback. Love a jeep (wrangler).... Always have and will. But had a chance to drive a rental outback around Salt Lake City for a couple weeks while on a ski trip and that little AWD never missed a beat. Up, down the mountains, through the snow. I was very impressed. Side note.... On some steep climbs the engine seemed to struggle a bit. It was a rental and Im sure it had the smallest engine for that model.... I'd consider the bigger engine they offer if I were to purchase. There also seemed to be one in every other driveway, and that may speak of something?
    ...just my dos centavos.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    I bought an Impreza STI in 2004 and would still have it today but after an accident it was never the same. So it was traded in for an FJ Cruiser. At the time, I looked at Jeeps and other Subarus but the FJ seemed more practical for me. After having my FJ for the last year it has been an enjoyable experience. Unfortunately this will be the last year they are produced, but they are at the top of the resale list and keeping their value.

http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/?r=777723463252186800

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    so I should say subaru vs jeep wrangler? if that was the case, what would you say noob?

Unless you like to spend weekends on the trail, the outback still wins. It's more refined and livable where the Wrangler is more spartan. I agree that the FJ cruiser is a good inbetween car. Daily drivability, can go on trails, and toyota reliability.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I live my wrangler 4dr. I will have it until the motor blows out if it. Then stick a new motor into it. Plenty of room to put anything I need to inside of it, plus room for the wife and dogs.

19159586-8CAD-4349-99F3-117AA5BD39E1_zpsr7ow1rby.jpg

I have a 98 tj with 195k on the clock and I will guarantees the last few thousand are harder than any 100k put on a regular vehicle (there are members here that will vouch for it). I will challenge anyone to a battle of rev limiters with it.

It is about what you want. see my above posts

I'll vouch for that. I've wheeled with this man.

Unless you like to spend weekends on the trail, the outback still wins. It's more refined and livable where the Wrangler is more spartan. I agree that the FJ cruiser is a good inbetween car. Daily drivability, can go on trails, and toyota reliability.

Bull ****. Have you seen the interior of any wrangler in the past three years? It's gotten so "sophisticated" that old school jeepers like edman look down on us :( lol

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Bull ****. Have you seen the interior of any wrangler in the past three years? It's gotten so "sophisticated" that old school jeepers like edman look down on us :( lol

A friend has a brand new wrangler unlimited. You are right, it's not 70's styling and analog, but at the same time it's not as "up to date" as I'm accustomed to. So maybe my perception may be different than yours. Just like some people may think a del-ton ar is all they need and others prefer a noveske with all the bells and whistles. Pretty much since I was 19, I've driven luxury cars. So navigation, rearview cam, parking sensors, multi way adjustable power seats, heated and cooled seats, multi-zone climate control, power folding mirrors, and keyless go, are just some of the things I'm accustomed to. So yes, it's not like the jeep of yesteryear, but it's also no grand cherokee with the works......

Top Bottom