22-250 opions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sacalit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    LAFAYETTE,lOUISIANA
    I am thing about purchasing a 22-250 rifle for my grandson. Would like some suggestions on what is a good rifle for the buck. Looking for something that has a bull barrel, accurate and something that he can shoot for years to come. Any help would be appreciated.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ruger makes a very nice rifle in this caliber. We got one from CDNN sports last year for a great price. Why a bull barrel? You don't need that for hunting with this gun as it is very accurate with a standard barrel. I got my son a Savage .17 with a bull barrel for him to hunt with and I regret it to this day. It's too heavy and not balanced right for hunting. The Ruger M77 is a great gun and will last two life times. There are many other quality gun makers who offer this caliber, but we have the Ruger and like it alot. Oh I just remembered this. Before the Ruger we had a Remington 700 in the same caliber with a stainless bull barrel and we never shot it. It was not fun to shoot. I sold it to someone in Texas and we bought the Ruger.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    Ruger makes a very nice rifle in this caliber. We got one from CDNN sports last year for a great price. Why a bull barrel? You don't need that for hunting with this gun as it is very accurate with a standard barrel.

Have to agree. Ruger American in .22-250 would be my choice. And they just started offering that caliber in the Compact RAR line. Should be a nice fit for your grandson.
    Any particular reason you chose the .22-250? A .243 is more versatile, good for anything from varmints to deer and hogs. And it doesn't have much recoil either.

Last edited:

Snuggie308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    I know it's my personal preference, but experience has shown that you can't beat a Remington 700 ( I have had many Rugers). I have a Rem 700 Varmint ( heavy barrel ) that puts 5 in a hole at 200yds. The rifle has had some tuning done and I do shoot hand loads but this is a testament to their accuracy. My Rugers never shot better than an inch. Just my thoughts, thanks.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I don't doubt that the Remington 700 with a bull barrel is more accurate than the standard Ruger M77, but lugging a bull barreled rifle around the woods will not be fun for a kid. A model 700 with the standard barrel would be a great choice. Like one of the above posters stated a .243 would be a great caliber also.

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    I don't doubt that the Remington 700 with a bull barrel is more accurate than the standard Ruger M77, but lugging a bull barreled rifle around the woods will not be fun for a kid. A model 700 with the standard barrel would be a great choice. Like one of the above posters stated a .243 would be a great caliber also.

I carried a bull barreled 700 for years deer hunting, the only thing that saved me was I rode the 4 wheeler 30 yards from the stand and got back on so I wasn't really lugging it around. Just depends if he'll be walking hundreds of yards or just climbing on the stand. There is definately an accuracy difference but most people's max is 200 yards or so out of a deer stand, especially kids. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting a .22 caliber rifle at deer, but like Snuggie said, it's personal preference.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom