.22 Hornet Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I recently purchased a Springfield Armory Scout M6 chambered in .410 and .22 Hornet.

Q#1- Is there any other caliber I can safely shoot through the .22 Hornet Chamber?

Q#2- Does anyone know a good source for case priced .22 Hornet Ammo?

scout1.jpg

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/scout1.jpg

Alpo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Redneck Riviera
    No and no.

Someone may point out there is an adapter that allows you to shoot 22LR in your Hornet chamber, http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm but that only works with the Contender, since the Contender has a rimfire firing pin setup. With a standard centerfire gun, going to a rimfire, you need a plug behind the rimfire cartridge, with a rimfire firing pin on it. The centerfire hammer or striker hits the plug and the teat on the other end of the plug fires the rimfire round. The Hornet is not long enough for there to be room for both the LR round and the plug.

I have the same gun, so I've looked into it. :)

M6open.jpg

Oh, and if you take that stupid, worthless trigger guard off, it folds tighter.

M6folded1.jpg

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    22 hornet is one of those cartidges that it really pays to reload. Also, its one of the few 22's that performs well with cast bullets.

THere are a few 22lr cartridge adapters that are machined eccentric, so they work with a centerfire pin. Dont know how accuracy performs in them though.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks guys. That was my next question about an adapter. I have seen some reloading kits on cheaperthandirt.

i probaly should know this, but it it a regular .223 bullet that it uses or is it a specific projectile?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    depending on make and model, it could be .223 or .224. By the way, your regular .223 Remington (aka 5.56) is actually .224 diameter.

Alpo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Redneck Riviera
    Hornet history.

22 Long Rifle uses a .223 bullet. Original 22 Hornets, back when it was a wildcat, were made using 22 Long Rifle rifles. So the original 22 Hornets were .223 caliber.

Guns made for the last several decades, however, have been .224, the same as all other 22 centerfires. This includes the M6.

If you reload, you will see bullets listed as "for 22 Hornet", and they are .223, but that's for the people that have the old guns.

The one annoying thing about the Hornet is it does not like the 55 grain bullet, that I have a gazillion of, for my 223s. It likes 35 and 40 grain bullets. Can't find them "cheap surplus". But still, a fifteen or twenty cent bullet with a 3 cent primer and a penny's worth of powder beats the hell out of a dollar a round.

fishhawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2013
    woods
    22 hornet cz 527 true mauser action,1:16 twist ,alpo is right this hornet like flat base hullets up to 45 grain.
    but as for accuracy .375 with a cold barrel three shots clover leaf 100 yrds.i reload so for me it is lil'gun and a medum crimp with 6 1/2 rem. small pistol primers.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom