.22 LR Choices

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VagabondLiberty

Intrepid Vagabond
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    LA
    Because there are so many different types of ammo out there in .22LR, I was just wondering what you guys use for a) varmint hunting b) small game hunting, c) general plinking and target shooting and d) what you have in a BOB if you are taking a .22. Thanks in advance for all input.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Stingers if I'm shooting anything but paper.
    Remington yellow jackets are OK.
    For paper whatever is cheapest.
    My buckmark doesn't like Eley.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    All I ever use my .22 for is plinking, so I can't comment on any cartridges ability to terminate little fuzzballs. When it comes to plinking, I use the cheapest stuff, and I've tried Federal, Remington, and Winchester bulk ammo, and I can't say that I noticed any difference in accuracy or performance.

Except I did notice that the remington bulk ammo shot a little dirtier. Only noticed this in my friend's S&W 22-A pistol where it would seem that little specks of hot ash would fly out during extraction. You could feel something hitting your hand. Didn't hurt, but it was noticeable sometimes. They still shot straight, though!

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have only plinked and have tried all three bulk ammo's from Wal Mart. I would rate them as best to worst starting with Federal 550 box, then Winchester 333 box and last the Remington Golden. The Goldens are real dirty and towards the end of the box I did start to have FTE issues.
    Somebody gave me a box of Eley Black box and those were sweet. Not that I am an expert marksman but I can stay well within a 2-3" circle but with the bulk ammo I tend to have a few fliers every 25 rounds or so. When I loaded the Eley they seemed smoother and I was able to keep all of them in a 2" spread.
    It really does depend on what your guns will eat. Luckily, my S&W 422, Marlin 39A, and Ruger 10/22 all are fine with the hollow point bulk ammo. My father-in-law has a Buckmark that really does not like hollow points at all.

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Depends,.... for small groups; Wolf Match Extra or Federal Match, for Steel Challenge matches; CCI mini-mags, for goofin' around; the cheapest thing I have.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom