.22 vs. 17 HMR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I want to buy a small rifle to play with in the yard to pick off squirrels or rabbits. I also want to play with it at the range. I really like the 17 HMR due to the higher power but don't want to spend a hell of a lot of money. Can somebody here please convince me that buying the .22 would be just as fun for a lot less money...:p

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    i own both.... if you are going to do a lot of plinking then go with the 22... if you are going to shoot to kill go with 17hmr...

17 ammo is more expensive than 22, but I really love the dime size grouping at 100yds with my 17

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I love my savage .22, best part is no aftermarket so I am not tempted to spend tons and tons of money on a plinker rifle when there are more firearms to add to the collection.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    I just bought another .22 yesterday, but if you dont have a .17HMR, Id defiantly go with that. I LOVE shooting mine, and its very deadly if you plan to kill stuff with it. Make head shots though!!

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have a 17HMR and I really like it, but I would not have bought one. The 17HMR I have I won at a Friends of the NRA meeting. Whatever I want to do with the 17 I can do cheaper with a 22.

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    If you're just looking to shoot a WHOLE TON of rounds, maximum fun factor, and can take small game (squirrels, birds, up to rabbits)... then .22 is perfect. You'd be surprised what you can kill with a .22, granted you're accurate. If you gut-shot anything, you'll be chasing it for a while... but it's been used to take down unsuspecting coyotes on a friend's farm.. They flop around for a few minutes, but it works... and multiple shots do the job quickly.

If you're looking to pick off prairie dogs at 400m, then 17HMR is for you. The 17 is much more of a "rifle round", so to speak, and will do more damage than a .22lr. It's more accurate, and much better suited in a scoped rifle. It's more pricey.

--

Honestly, man... if you don't own a .22, then you should. It's a staple of every small arsenal, for a number of extremely good reasons. It's enough to feed yourself, carry thousands of rounds with ease, and make a significant (lethal) deterrent to anyone not better armed. Given a woodland survival situation, i'd grab my .22 with as many rounds as I could carry.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    What about the difference in power?

The 17 is about like a 22mag, as far as power is concerned. If you are shooting farther than 100yds with the 17, the wind plays a big factor in accuracy. The little 17 cal bullet is easily blown around by the wind. The same can be said about the 22. The decision is whether you want to spend about $13.00 for 50 17HMR rounds or $15.00 for 500 22.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom