220v question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I'm pretty sure you are getting some bad information here.

I say this b/c I moved my Laundry Room into a portable shed outside the home. Had to run a 220 for the Dryer.
    Then we wanted to put a 220 A/C w Heater so the shed is temp controlled.

I was told by an electrician, and my father-n-law who also runs wire, that I should NOT just tap into the 220 outlet and make another outlet for the A/C to plug into. I was told I would have ot run a completely new 220 line.

The reason;
    1- Say it's a 50 Amp breaker and the dryer is taking up half that are more already, when the A/C kicks on *boom* Breaker Trips. Tripping breakers is a safety of course but not something you want to make a habit of and you better hope it does trip b/c if it doesn't you'll have a serious problem on your hands and you might find out once your box explodes and the house is on fire. Not being scary, I work with some electricians and they tell REAL stories all the time.
    2- Now it is possible to have two 220 outlets off one line "IF" you have the proper size wire that will then allow you to put a 100 Amp breaker for that circuit.

What you need to do is simple. Call a local electrician, tell him what you want to do and see what he says or if he'll drop by and take a look.

*NOTE* I just hung the phone up with the head A/C Tech & Electrician for Fort Polk. He reassured me of all what I just posted.

Your case could be different, he's a nice fellow if you want his number PM me and you can call him yourself. ;)

...and to be honest the LAST place I would look to for advice on Electricity is the INTERWEBZ
    oups-pardon-9877.gif

now in your situation you should run a 6-3 wire out to the shed to a small sub panel and then some 8-3 off of two 30amp breakers, one for the ac and one for the dryer.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    now in your situation you should run a 6-3 wire out to the shed to a small sub panel and then some 8-3 off of two 30amp breakers, one for the ac and one for the dryer.

Well I actually have the wire to just run another 220 line for the A/C. Just waiting for a good time to do it ..... I wish the ground was as wet as it was a couple months ago :p

Top Bottom