.223 Academy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cexodusk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Was at academy today and they sell Monarch ammo. Ive been using there FMJ 55gr .223 for $7.50 a box of 20

Today I noticed they had Monarch 55gr FMJ for $5.50 a box. Anyone know if this stuff is non corrosive if so im gonna go buy all they have

I havent had any problems shooting there $7.50 box stuff from my AR-15

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    If thats the small blue box, its laquer coated steel cased ammo, I believe manufactured by barnaul. I burn it up at the range, $48.60 per 200 rounds. It shoots fine out of my 2 AR-15's and an AR180. I also burn through the 308 in the small blue box that is like 7.86 per 20 rounds.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    It shoots just fine, unless your in baton rouge... in that case its horrid stuff, best to be avoided.

brb going to academy :-D

Forrest

REO
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Sad that people are tripping over each other to buy .223 at 37-40 cents a round. I bought 1000rds of Federal for 20 cents a round just 3 years ago.

End the war in Iraq so our ammo prices will come down. :(

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    I think you're right about the prices not going down. The metal markets have the price of the copper and brass at all time highs. The cheapest ammo we had was the military surplus that we had coming in for so long. But alas, times have changed. The good milsurp is drying up and the new import laws are making what is left more expensive and harder to get in.
    The wolf ammo seems to be about the best deal sometimes, and even though I have no problem using it, my Bushmaster won't cycle it. It short strokes the bolt; just far enough to eject the fired round, but just short of being able to chamber the next round in the magazine. My DPMS will burn it up all day long, so I solely use it for that rifle, while saving my good brass stuff for the Bushy.

JustinR

Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Lafayette
    Try an O-ring or the Defender gizmo under your extractor. When new, my BushMaster did the same thing with ANY ammunition. The O-ring fixed it.

Granted, yours doesn't sound like a pure extraction problem; but it cannot hurt to try.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to either of these things would you?

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I went to Academy today to pick up some ammo, and I always check the .223 prices for you guys on the shelf(the shelf was empty) was a tag that read .223 REM 55 GR $4.86 I figured it was a pretty good deal but they were out. I was going to pick some for you guys. I will keep my eye out for ya'll

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I buy alot of that 7.62x39 and 308 monarch. It is great plinking stuff and the 308 has decent accuracy. It would make good SHTF ammo too, but I always keep 1 mag loaded with Remmington soft point "Social Ammo" for 2 & 4 legged predators.

Of course the price ain't the best, but a box or two here and there is easy to accumalate.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    What do you shoot the .308 out of?

I should be ashamed of myself for feeding your addiction, but:

Converted Saiga .308

Saiga308-large.jpg

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    So the .223 monarch ammo is OK? I saw it at academy today for 5.23 a box. I bought the shelf at 26 cents a shot, at least for blazing at the range. Figured it was worth the gamble.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I remember when it was FIVE cents a round for "surplus" M193 Lake City. Back then, it wasn't nearly as popular a cartridge as now. And, of course, you could buy a Colt SP-1 carbine for $500, too.

Funny..

I bought my first AR (Colt SP-1 with no forward assist) tax and all was 527 bucks. Man do I miss 1991.

Top Bottom