.223 cast bullets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Bayou Bullets goes .223

223bayoubullets001.jpg

223bayoubullets002.jpg

The success of the .30 carbine bullets had me wondering if this stuff would work in 223. I finally got around to casting some and finished prepping them the other day. Then today I decided to load some, well I forgot that I needed a case mouth expander. A trip to the lathe and I managed to make a pretty decent one that opened the case mouths to .225 ( I sized bullets to .224).
    I loaded 5 with a max (cast bullet, approx 2200 fps) load of some rather old IMR4227. Cleaned the bbl on my AR, but it was getting too dark to test for anything other than to see if they would lead. Sadly the load wouldn't function the AR, came very close but no cigar. Got back home and the bbl was completely spotless :-) So I loaded 30 more with the same load, to test for accuracy in my AR and Rem 700. And I went out on limb and loaded some with a starting jacketed bullet load to see if the lube will hold up to a higher velocity.

captain-03

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Central Mississippi
    I, too, have be playing around with cast in them ARs -- got success on velocity and functionality - but lacking in accuracy ... still on the quest ..

What grain boolit you got there?

223.jpg

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    well I dont know if they will ever give good accuracy amd functionality in a 223, especially without a gas check, gut those bullets probably would do well in a 222 rem or 22 hornet. Maybe going to a heavier bullet that is the same length as a 55gr fmj would help as well. While I have never cast 223 caliber
    I have some experince with 22 hornet and lots of experience with 30 cal cast.

I have often found that the most accurate cast bullets in modern rifle cartridges are the heavier ones the same length as what jacket bullet that gun shoots well.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    hurry up ! I'm placing an order for 5K of FMJ next week. lol
    I even went and looked on your site first to make sure you didn't have any.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have been reading and may be off base with this, but Lead typically gives higher pressure for same powder measurements, so be careful with maxing out your loads and look for pressure signs.
    I have also read that lead will need higher weights to be more accurate but I cannot prove that yet.

Any thoughts?

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I have been reading and may be off base with this, but Lead typically gives higher pressure for same powder measurements, so be careful with maxing out your loads and look for pressure signs.
    I have also read that lead will need higher weights to be more accurate but I cannot prove that yet.

Any thoughts?

I am aware of the possiblities of the higher pressures with lead. I would like to try a heavier bullet in the 223 , but the 55 gr was the only one I have access to at the moment. I may buy another mould in the future.

Beretta687

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    If using the same weight bullet in lead as you where in jacketed with the same powder charge you should get higher velocity due to less friction of the cast bullet vs jacketed. With higher velocity loads such as you may be getting with the 223 a gas checked bullet is a must. It looks like you used a coating type lube for those bullets. This may not be working for what you are trying to do. Make sure your bore is cleaned of any jacket fouling before shooting cast as it could effect accuracy.

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    lead

Lead has less friction than jacket so it has LESS pressure.but goes faster.you may need a slower powder to keep the pressure up for the gas port.but that may lower you velocity because you cant put as much powder in the case.
    try cast boolite site they may have a load.

Harmon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    What is the sized diameter of the bullet? Does the coating add appreciably to the bullet diameter? Are they sized before or after coating?

Top Bottom