.223 Hollowpoint vs 55gr for target shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JenRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Good afternoon. My boyfriend and I have been practicing a bunch with our new .223. The hollowpoint is off when we're shooting targets, we can tell how much, so we will be able to correct when we're hunting. But the question is, should we be practicing with hollowpoints when we're shooting targets? Or is that a waste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Practicing with the bullet you'll be hunting with is never a bad idea. My buddy just got a new .270 marlin, and set his scope with a certain type of ammo. Grouped a half an inch at 100 yards dead center. Switched to a heavier grain and threw his pattern off 4 inches both down and right. Still grouped that same half an inch, but you don't want to have to account for a change like that in the 'heat of the moment'

JenRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Good to know. We have a .270 also but I've recently fallen in love with this .223.
    When hunting with a .223, are we right to use a hollow point rather than a standard 55gr (or similar)?

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Mine has a 1-7 twist barrel so it'll stabilize a heavier bullet. I prefer to shoot a hard nose with a heavier grain so it doesn't mushroom and tear up the meat as much, plus, it's been more accurate in my opinion. 55 grain is still enough to drop a deer if you hit in the right spot though.

JenRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Well thank y'all for the info! His birthday is in Feb... So I'm trying to come up with some ideas. And since we like to go out to our property and shoot... Wanted to see what the best options are. (We just bought the .223 like 2 weeks ago, still getting a feel for it and working out the kinks!)

JenRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Ok. I'm new to all the specifics of gun stuff. (I can aim, shoot and I never miss - there ends my expertise! so I'm trying to learn! Thanks for your patience!) so forgive me if I don't say it all right! Lol!

It's a Remington and he originally bought it for deer.
    But we were talking with a friend the other day who said he could probably also use it for hogs. But haven't tried it on any hog hunts yet! (In fact, neither of us have done a hog hunt ever! -Eek! - Don't laugh!)

DangerClose3/5

Rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Covington
    Not laughing just trying to get some specifics to help y'all as much as possible. For hunting with a .223 I suggest using atleast a 60g projectile I like the sierra 65g gameking. I realize your a newbie and don't reload but I'd use a factory load 60+g with a good velocity and zero it with that. After that if you practice with a different bullet don't worry about change in impact but grouping / consistency. Is it a bolt action or semi auto ?

Just my .02

Last edited:

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    Ok. I'm new to all the specifics of gun stuff. (I can aim, shoot and I never miss - there ends my expertise! so I'm trying to learn! Thanks for your patience!) so forgive me if I don't say it all right! Lol!

It's a Remington and he originally bought it for deer.
    But we were talking with a friend the other day who said he could probably also use it for hogs. But haven't tried it on any hog hunts yet! (In fact, neither of us have done a hog hunt ever! -Eek! - Don't laugh!)

Step......away......from......the......computer......

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Have had fantastic accuracy results with 55gr Hornady V-Max. Mainly for varmint hunting.

Also, Hornady 55gr SP(soft point). Very accurate and more of a larger game hunting bullet.

Cabela's often has both of these available, online anyway.

Good reference for ammo. gunbot.net

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Good to know. We have a .270 also but I've recently fallen in love with this .223.
    When hunting with a .223, are we right to use a hollow point rather than a standard 55gr (or similar)?

if you have 1:7 twist or even 1:8 you should go with a heavier bullet for hunting hogs or deer for a little extra knockdown. After 62 grains ya just about need the faster 1:7 twist rate to have a true flying accurate bullet in that caliber.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    These are my all time favorite for bigger critters. 19.29 at midway right now. Over 2900fps, 75 grains of open tip goodness

u4uhenep.jpg

Swampman1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    south La.
    I may be off the mark here, but my understanding is that it's illegal to hunt deer with a 22 caliber in La. Doesn't a .223 also fall into that category? Just curious.

Last edited:

Swampman1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    south La.
    22 rimfire is illegal. IIRC

Hmm OK. You may be right but I just don't see what rimfire or centerfire would have anything to do with it. I always assumed it had more to do with the small size of the bullet injuring a deer, where a larger bullet would do the job.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Jenn,
    The Hornady 55gr softpoints are about 29.95 for 50 rounds at Academy and do an excellent job on hogs, and even white tail. They do a lot of damage once they blow apart inside the body cavity. Any 55gr softpoint will do a lot of damage. take care

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    Hmm OK. You may be right but I just don't see what rimfire or centerfire would have anything to do with it. I always assumed it had more to do with the small size of the bullet injuring a deer, where a larger bullet would do the job.

22rf doing about 1100 fps, 223 doing around 3000 fps. A bit more energy delivered on target.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    I may be off the mark here, but my understanding is that it's illegal to hunt deer with a 22 caliber in La. Doesn't a .223 also fall into that category? Just curious.

Federal Fusion 62gr Soft Point .223 Rem

Muzzle: 3000 fps and 1239 ft/lbs energy

100 yds: 2697 fps and 1001 ft/lbs energy

CCI Velocitor 40gr Hollow Point .22LR

Muzzle: 1435 fps and 183 ft/lbs energy

100 yds: 1084 fps and 104 ft/lbs energy

This is why LDWF says the use of ANY centerfire round is permitted for the taking of deer and the use of rimfire rounds is not...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom