223 plinking ammo options

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I finally decided to get a AR and am trying to decide which way to go for ammo. Reload or buy bulk (new or reman). The gun is strictly a plinker. I'm not going to "Ken" it out. Put a red dot on it and go kill some cans and targets. What do y'all do for plinking ammo? I reload but I'm wondering if it's cheaper to buy the reman stuff.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    "ken" it out?
    Ammo for .223/5.56 has gone down BIG TIME!
    All stores have ammo now, thank goodness.
    I try to avoid reman stuff as last resort.

I finally decided to get a AR and am trying to decide which way to go for ammo. Reload or buy bulk (new or reman). The gun is strictly a plinker. I'm not going to "Ken" it out. Put a red dot on it and go kill some cans and targets. What do y'all do for plinking ammo? I reload but I'm wondering if it's cheaper to buy the reman stuff.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    "ken" it out?
    Ammo for .223/5.56 has gone down BIG TIME!
    All stores have ammo now, thank goodness.
    I try to avoid reman stuff as last resort.

LOL I was referring to how some ppl like to accessorize their ARs like little girls dressing up their ken and barbie dolls.

I held off buying a AR until I knew I could get ammo. I'm just trying to figure out if it would make economical sense to reload over buying bulk. At ~$350 per 1k I'm leaning toward buying bulk and just keep reloading for my target rifles.

Last edited:

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I don't reload, so I don't know the price of a 556 round you'd make at home, but I have a cheapish $500 PSA AR I just built that will be my "plinking" rifle and I intend on just shooting cheap steel cased tula and wolf through it. At $5.50/20 rounds it comes out to about .27 per round which isn't too bad IMO. How much can you reload 556 for?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Buy a decent AR that isn't finicky on ammo, and shoot steel case. Haven't bought in a while but should be around $250/1K. The only ammo I would specifically avoid is Tulammo, all the other steel stuff I've shot has worked fine.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Buy a decent AR that isn't finicky on ammo, and shoot steel case. Haven't bought in a while but should be around $250/1K. The only ammo I would specifically avoid is Tulammo, all the other steel stuff I've shot has worked fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, which is quite possible, but aren't tula & wolf basically the same thing? Just rebranded..?

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    For plinking ammo reloading isn't worth it. Lets step through it. Midwayusa prices.

Bullets: Hornady 55gr FMJ BTw/cannelure. $93.99 / 1000.
    Primers: CCI Small Rifle. $31.49 / 1000.
    Powder: Hodgdon H335. $23.49 / lb.
    7000 grains to a pound. Lets say were doing light loads at a charge of 23.0gr. 1000 reloads is 23000 grains or 3lb 5oz. Round it up to 4lb for $187.95 in powder.

Just in components for 1000 rounds we're at $313.43. Now add in the case gauge, case trimmer, chamfer deburr tool, and more importantly your time. Oh and good luck finding any of the above in stock. Reloading components are almost as hard to find as .22LR.

Meanwhile I'm seeing Federal American Eagle which is Lake City over-runs. 55gr FMJBT. 1000 rounds for $405.47 in stock at Midsouth Shooters Supply. And when done shooting that up either keep the brass or sell it off at about $60 / 1000.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Correct me if I'm wrong, which is quite possible,
    but aren't tula & wolf basically the same thing? Just rebranded..?

I've seen so many back and forth articles/forum topics on this
    I don't know which way is up lol

Like these;
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=474449
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-483334.html

Wolf Wikipedia states;
    The ammunition is mostly manufactured by Tulskiy Patronniy Zavod
    (Tula Cartridge Plant) in Tula, Tula District, Russia.

Like I said, all i know is that it's made in Russia, all of it,
    and they seem to mess around with it frequently.

BUT! a lot of folks say Tula has an inconsistent powder charge.

But hey, if you get 10 or 15 bad rounds in a 500 bulk pack
    I call that Good Training! :p

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't know where/who/why what is made by which factory. I only know from personal experience, shooting lots and lots of Russian steel ammo (Tulammo, Wolf, WPA, Monarch, etc) that Tulammo is not the same as the rest and is the only steel ammo myself and other people I've trained with have ever encountered problems with. It is consistently weak compared to the rest and will short stroke in a lot of rifles. It's a common knowledge issue on AR15 forums.

I imagine all the Russian ammo may very well be made in the same couple of factories, but that does not mean it is all the same ammo with the same specs.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    been through over 500rds of tulammo 223 and never any issues. surprisingly good groups at 100yds. its my range/training ammo.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    I occasionally find American Eagle 223 (black 20 rd box) for $8 after tax. I think this stuff is alright, but I've never used it.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Not to totally discourage our OP on reloading .223. I just wanted to let him know that for non-precision loads reloading isn't cost effective. However I do keep a stash of the mentioned components on the shelf. When the stupidity of $1 a round and more was in high gear last year I just hit my stash and loaded a few hundred. Held me over until the madness settled down.

95% of my centerfire shooting is for precision so I do reload .223 and .308. You are not going to find .223 with 80gr SMK with the OAL set .010" off the lands sitting on the store shelf.

When I do buy factory .223 I lean toward Federal American Eagle. As mentioned before it's Lake City production over-runs and frequently can be found on sale.

Or you can buy once, cry once. Federal/Lake City M855 Ammunition. 12,500 rounds in metal barrel. $5899.99 at Grafs. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/26551

Last edited:

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    How’s it going buddy,
    I do both… I buy bulk blemished bullets, once fired brass and I use powder I have laying around that I’m not using, plus it’ll keep ya busy on a rainy day.
    Also I have a couple thousand rounds I picked up after the ammo drought.

Charlie54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    LOL, I'll be there. I've got a little AR15 that i shoot, I don't think i ever took it to SSC, just sherburne and cane fields. I'll bring it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom