.22lr self defense ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Federal recently came out with a new 22lr defensive round as well called "punch" which apparently hits 1070fps out of a 2" barrel. There are some youtubes of gel results. https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfire/personal-defense-punch-rimfire/11-PD22L1.html

More than just reading skills missing here; It may take a week for the perp to die after being shot with a 22
    Moot point. The goal of shooting someone in self defense isn't to kill them, it's to stop them from killing you.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Federal recently came out with a new 22lr defensive round as well called "punch" which apparently hits 1070fps out of a 2" barrel. There are some youtubes of gel results. https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfire/personal-defense-punch-rimfire/11-PD22L1.html

Moot point. The goal of shooting someone in self defense isn't to kill them, it's to stop them from killing you.
    That federal punch is also pretty impressive. It’s only a 29gr projectile however from the various gel test I’ve watched on it, it penetrates deeper than any other .22lr round. That little sucker is averaging around 15” of penetration.

I forget the guys name on YouTube but he has various test of federal punch VS several other offerings of .22lr . He has probably 20+ test and so far nothing has penetrated deeper than the federal punch.

Federal also offers punch in 22wmr as well as some more common calibers such as 9mm, .45acp, .380, and 38spl +p. It used to come nickel plated just like the hst’s however current production is now just a standard brass case. The projectile looks almost identical to an hst. The 9mm is some decent ammo but personally I wouldn’t carry it over some good ol tried and true federal hst’s.

Jasonsch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2022
    Bossier city
    I had come across an active shooter video a couple months ago about the importance of cover.

State police traffic stop, with vest on. The bag guy pulls a gun and opens fire, a 22LR pocket pistol. The bad guy is hit 6/8 times, on the ground bleeding out, but didn’t he ultimately lived.

The officer doesn’t take cover, while on the radio, pistol in hand, the bad guy gets another round off, it strikes the officer just outside of the vest protection. 1 round of 22LR and the officer dies, the bad guy lives with 6/8 rounds.
    L
    for some reason people have always underestimated what .22lr is capable of even with the testing and data we have these days. Shot placement is everything. When people make ignorant comments about.22lr not being sufficient enough to kill a human I ask them to show me a spot on the human body where .22lr wouldn’t kill you but 9mm or another pistol caliber would.

this is just my personal opinion but the main reason I wouldn’t carry it or go to it first in a home defense situation is because of how finicky rimfire cartridges can be. Although we have rounds like CCI Mini mags that are damn near 100% most of the time they just aren’t as reliable as a center fire cartridge. I shot 200 rounds of CCI Mini mags today out of my 10/22 without a hiccup using bx25 oem magazines. With that said I’ve still experienced the occasional dud with .22 ammo.

Jasonsch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2022
    Bossier city
    for some reason people have always underestimated what .22lr is capable of even with the testing and data we have these days. Shot placement is everything. When people make ignorant comments about.22lr not being sufficient enough to kill a human I ask them to show me a spot on the human body where .22lr wouldn’t kill you but 9mm or another pistol caliber would.

this is just my personal opinion but the main reason I wouldn’t carry it or go to it first in a home defense situation is because of how finicky rimfire cartridges can be. Although we have rounds like CCI Mini mags that are damn near 100% most of the time they just aren’t as reliable as a center fire cartridge. I shot 200 rounds of CCI Mini mags today out of my 10/22 without a hiccup using bx25 oem magazines. With that said I’ve still experienced the occasional dud with .22 ammo.
    Just a matter of what is the common caliber of the day back 70 years ago it was 22 after that it was 25. Then 380 after that 9mm, but with the rise of the pistolized AK & AR as the gun of choice 9mm's days are numbered.

James Thibodeau

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Breaux Bridge
    I picked up a few boxes of Winchester silvertips in .22lr. Although I don’t plan on carrying a 22 for self defense I will admit I was shocked to see some gel test results on YouTube. It’s a 37gr segmenting hollow point moving 1060fps out of a 3.5* barrel. I figured with a light weight segmenting bullet penetration would be lacking but from the testing ive seen it hits 11*-13*. Pretty interesting stuff and just goes to show how far technology has come. Has anyone had a chance to shoot any of these yet?
    This used to by mfg and marketed by Triton in the early 90s called Quik shok and was super impressive back then and available in almost all handgun calibers. I have 3 boxes of 40cal I stumbled upon couple years ago.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Just a matter of what is the common caliber of the day back 70 years ago it was 22 after that it was 25. Then 380 after that 9mm, but with the rise of the pistolized AK & AR as the gun of choice 9mm's days are numbered.
    Theirs a lot more to it than that. Center fire calibers are ballistically superior to 22lr. .22lr is still extremely popular and as a matter of fact it’s still the #1 selling ammo according to various sources. With modern projectile advancement center fire pistol calibers are several steps ahead of 22lr for self defense.

Jasonsch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2022
    Bossier city
    Theirs a lot more to it than that. Center fire calibers are ballistically superior to 22lr. .22lr is still extremely popular and as a matter of fact it’s still the #1 selling ammo according to various sources. With modern projectile advancement center fire pistol calibers are several steps ahead of 22lr for self

Jasonsch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2022
    Bossier city
    Theirs a lot more to it than that. Center fire calibers are ballistically superior to 22lr. .22lr is still extremely popular and as a matter of fact it’s still the #1 selling ammo according to various sources. With modern projectile advancement center fire pistol calibers are several steps ahead of 22lr for self defense.
    It's all a matter of what is the common/popular caliber. More people shot with that common/popular caliber the more deaths and ends up being the caliber that's the most deadly. Ballistic doesn't matter when only 10 people a year or less are shot and killed with a 44 magnum and 6500+ people with a 9 mm.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    It's all a matter of what is the common/popular caliber. More people shot with that common/popular caliber the more deaths and ends up being the caliber that's the most deadly. Ballistic doesn't matter when only 10 people a year or less are shot and killed with a 44 magnum and 6500+ people with a 9 mm.
    More people are still killed with 22lr. You’re making the same moot point

Top Bottom