23-year old MRE (Meal, Ready to Eat) - Video

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armyvet

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    NOLA
    I was curious if my 6 year old MREs were still good to eat. Is a 23-year old MRE still good to eat?

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    I know they sell them in the commisary at the seabee navy base in Gulfport. Don't remember what the price was a couple months ago.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Getting them down has never been a problem for me.. Getting them out however has always been a problem. After 2 weeks like craping out a mag light wraped in sand paper.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    It's all about storage conditions. Honestly the only MRE I refuse to eat is the Veggie Omelette, the rest are actually not that bad, they just get real old real quick when thats all you've eaten for a few weeks/months.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I give my vegetarians to one of the mods on here, I refuse to try them.. he the real man.. eating the veggie.. yuck.. I would eat a roadkill armadillo before them..

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    No problem with 'em here...and I see them at several places on the interweb, seems like around 75 bucks for a case of 12, shipping might be prohibitive though

After Rita I stayed in the Camp ground in Woodworth, everyday for weeks a parish dump truck came around and asked how many cases you wanted and how much water...also the front gate was handing them out. Came home with a bunch, like 50 cases...they carried me through Ike and the other one and I still have 3 unopend cases left.

MRE's made Rita not so bad where I was, that and the state kept our paychecks going in direct deposit and the campground was all paid up...anyway, thats off subject

armyvet

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    NOLA
    I give my vegetarians to one of the mods on here, I refuse to try them.. he the real man.. eating the veggie.. yuck.. I would eat a roadkill armadillo before them..

I actually like some of the vegetarian ones. The cheese tortellini is pretty good stuff.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    When the Civil Air Patrol moved they cleaned out a connex container. In it were 3 cases of MREs. I scooped them up. 16 years old if I remember. I ate them all. Candy was horrid. Chocolate was a bit off. Otherwise nothing odd to report.

Kept in any reasonable kind of climate control MREs will last 10 years or more and still be edible and safe to eat. The stuff from the CAP was stored in a big metal box outside. Who knows how high the temps got in there.

Having to survive on MREs when the house got crushed in Gustav I can tell you that when you're wet, tired, and hungry any MRE will taste good.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Getting them out however has always been a problem. After 2 weeks like craping out a mag light wrapped in sand paper.

Now, I had to quote that because, that's funny. And I agree. I never minded them too much, when you're hungry, they look great. But after a week of eating them, get ready...

~rc~

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Getting them down has never been a problem for me.. Getting them out however has always been a problem. After 2 weeks like craping out a mag light wraped in sand paper.

They are specifically made to "stop you up". You do not want your army having to stop 4 times a day for **** breaks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom