26"bbl for skeet?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Anybody here ever use a 26" 12ga bbl for skeet? I've seen a few guys use them in the past and was wondering what are the benefits or pitfalls to using this shorter barrel. Of course,I'm still a novice at this sport and still want to learn more about it. Your input will be appreciated.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    It has indeed been many years since I last shot a round of skeet, but when I did I used a 26" barrel. Just for clarification, we are talking about the official game of Skeet with 8 stations and the high and low houses, aren't we? More important than barrel length is the fit of the gun to the shooter and the patterning qualities of your gun. After that, it's all technique. Station 8 doubles are always fun.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    26" for 'SKEET' is beneficial due to the need to swing the gun quickly.

'Sporting Clays' and 'TRAP' are a different sport with different needs.

Amateur Shooters that plan to shoot all 3 sports usually go with a 28" barrel.

Most high-end designated TRAP Guns are 30"-32" Barrels

Nothing is set in stone though so go with what you think you’ll need.

Do you plan on exclusively shooting SKEET with this gun?

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    For now it'll be skeet then maybe sporting clays after. I do like the way this newly acquired Stoeger Condor Supreme O/U 12ga swings with the 26" bbl and the gun fits me perfectly than the Remingtons I had.

Last edited:

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Many years ago 26 in. barrels were preferred by skeet shooters, and I too shot a 26 in. Weatherby Athena for several years w. good results. Now the fad is 30+ in. barrels. Skeet scores have increased since the old days, not because of increased barrel lengths, but proper gun fit and practice. If you continue shooting skeet, I'm sure you will make the same observation.

clayshooter25

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Westchester County, NY
    I shoot skeet regularly with a 30" barrel on a dedicated skeet gun, but as hunting season approaches I switch over to my field gun with 26" tubes. I find the shorter barrel definitely gets on the clays a bit quicker, but I prefer the longer gun "for the game" because it seems the added length and associated weight give me a smoother swing... But more important than barrel length is gun fit IMO. Merry Christmas!!!

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Skeet barrel length is a lot like men's tie width and what is fasionable varies over the years with 26 inch being on the low end of expected variation, I don't keep a close eye on it, but it seems we are heading back down now. This of course depends on type of gun (auto loader vs over and under, etc.), for a historical comparison, I have a Remington 1100 Skeet B 12 gauge from the late 1960's that I inherited that is equipped with a 26 inch fixed skeet choke barrel. Back then 26 inch was pretty much the standard for skeet and 28 for trap on the 1100.

tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    you did not say if you plan to shoot with the gun mounted or lo-ready. lo-gun you might have a small advantage w/ the shorter barrels. mounted, if you have your hold points established, i prefer the longer barrels as the added weight helps your follow-thru. you have plenty of time to break the targets as long as you are ahead and do not have to catch up to it. it's just like playing golf, head down, eye on target,follow thru. easy huh? plan on shooting a pickup truck load of ammo to get at least a third of the way there. been there, done that!

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I currently use a 28" Beretta, I like it fine, however I shot a buddies 26 " 1100 and found it more instinctive, less actual aiming required and more of a reactionary shot. I think the 26 may be more forgiving than a 28".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom