28 gauge and 16 gauge shotguns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goatman

Gone hunting or fishing!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I got a 16 gauge pump yesterday and put it on layaway cause its one of them Imma surprise my wife with. However when I was out chasing down ammo for this shotgun I seen shells for a 28 gauge. I have never even heard of a 28 gauge, but Im kinda interested in one since I cant fine a 410.

Im starting to collect more then anything since Ill prob only hunt with the 16 gauge every now and then. I might orta keep looking for a .410 though or even maybe a 1100..

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I've had one (a 28 Ga) for years- a Remington Model 1100....Sweet little gun.

The 28 ga is mostly considered a skeet/trap gun rather than hunting- but it makes a really nice jump gun for rabbits, as well... :)

One drawback though is there is no such thing as cheap shells for the 28- when you can even find someone who stocks them. Of course- this also seems to be the case with the little .410- now that the "Judge" craze has kicked in.:doh:

But if you are a collector- and appreciate a fast-handling little scattergun suitable for up-close action, I think it's a dandy.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    FWIW, the 28 gauge is considered an excellent upland bird gun by many for quail, grouse and other small birds. Shells might be affordable for that type of hunting...but if seriously competing, it would be a fine argument for investing in a good shotshell reloader. ;)

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I've had a Charles daly 28ga o/u for going on 25 years now.

Fun shotguns to shoot all day. Back in the day, I used it for quail, rabbit & woodcock. Ammo was extremely difficult to acquire in the pre Internet days. I see it all over the place now.

Like was said above, the increase in skeet & trap shooting is fueling a renewed interest in it. If you think you shoot well with a 12 or 20 ga, pick up a 28. It'll humble you without stepping all the way down to a 410.

Side note: there was talk that Taurus was gonna make a judge in 28ga. I think it was nixed because of legal bore limitations for modern pistols.

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    At the recent state sporting clay's championship, I shot the subgauge course (with a 20 ga) with a guy who was competing with all three subgauges: 20, 28 and .410.

I was absolutely amazed with the breaks he was getting with the 28...just as hard as with a 20. I had heard that the 28 ga tends to make beautiful patterns: certainly looked that way to me.

Now the .410, on the other hand, that would humble you...SERIOUSLY humble you :D

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    16 gauge is nearly non-existant since it is not used in skeet or sporting clays. I'm suprised it is still sold. My brother had one years ago and it shot good. My wife's grandpa shot a 28 at rabbits. Worked great, but he was a good shot. I saw someone at the old Gator Gun Club in Houma take a brand new Krieghoff o/u with tubes to change guage break 25 straight with 12 gauge, 25 straight with 20 guage, 25 straight with 28 guage, and finally missed one toward the end with 410 bore.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    I love a good 16ga namely a Sweet Sixteen for rabbits and quail. Light gun with plenty of power in my book. If you were a one gun man I think you could hold your own at most anything with one of these, with geese maybe being the one exception. Owning a 16ga or a 28ga and actually running some rounds thru it really requires getting into reloading.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The reason the sub gauges are so much more expensive is simple; for every .410 or 28 gauge shell produced, hundreds of 12 gauge shell are produced. The firms must re-tool completely for gauge changes, and in fact some of them only run .410s and 28s once a year.

Interesting...makes good sense.

I had to laugh at a buddy of mine just the other day bitching about $15 a box .410 fine shot for his grandson, though....especially after the nine year-old informed "paw paw" that he liked the 20 ga just as much... ('....and it hardly kicks, Paw Paw!'..:dogkeke:)

LA.Call'emClose

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    My grandpa has sent me upland bird hunting and wingshooting magazines for years (Shooting Sportsman is a great one). In these magazines i have often read articles about how well the .28 gauge is capable of patterning. Upland bid hunters love them for their slim profile, light weight and effective patterns/shot-strings.

I have been wanting to own one for many, many years. A nice Remington 1100 chambered in .28 ga is #1 on my list for buying when i have a little more spending money.

Believe me, when you hold a true .28 gauge framed shotgun, you will see that it is quick to handle and floats to your shoulder. Light recoil makes the gun great for follow-up shots in wingshooting and game hunting.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    A 16 gauge was my first shotgun. FOr a few years, ammo was extremely scarce (maybe late 90s- early 2000s) and then for some reason it started making a comeback. 12, 16 and 20 ga ammo is the same price at big box stores and 16 has been in stock every time I have check for the last few years. I believe at one point in time 16ga was THE choice gun as it was a compromise between 12 and 20. Lighter recoil than the 12 and more power and load than the 20. I believe it fell out of favor as guns advanced and recoil was easier with the newer 12s.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    A 16 gauge was my first shotgun. FOr a few years, ammo was extremely scarce (maybe late 90s- early 2000s) and then for some reason it started making a comeback. 12, 16 and 20 ga ammo is the same price at big box stores and 16 has been in stock every time I have check for the last few years. I believe at one point in time 16ga was THE choice gun as it was a compromise between 12 and 20. Lighter recoil than the 12 and more power and load than the 20. I believe it fell out of favor as guns advanced and recoil was easier with the newer 12s.

Actually it was 3" 20ga that really hurt 16ga as the payloads evened up although I have no proof I still believe a 2.75" 16ga will pattern better than a 3" 20ga (same for a 3.5" 12ga versus a 10ga).

aherring1983

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I love a 16 gauge and a 410 gauge, I have one of each in older bolt action shotguns, had the 410 for at least 25 years, great shooting gun, the 16 I just got it last year in a trade but it shoots and patterns good, it's nice to use the older guns every now and then over the nice fancy newer shotguns.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    I've had a Charles daly 28ga o/u for going on 25 years now.

Fun shotguns to shoot all day. Back in the day, I used it for quail, rabbit & woodcock. Ammo was extremely difficult to acquire in the pre Internet days. I see it all over the place now.

Like was said above, the increase in skeet & trap shooting is fueling a renewed interest in it. If you think you shoot well with a 12 or 20 ga, pick up a 28. It'll humble you without stepping all the way down to a 410.

Side note: there was talk that Taurus was gonna make a judge in 28ga. I think it was nixed because of legal bore limitations for modern pistols.

I have that same O/U along with the 20 and two 12's that match it fine guns, made at the Miroku plant.
    The first round with the little 28 I hit seven of 25 skeet......but in the field later that day on Quail..........now that was different........it's just absolutely the sweetest gun I own.

Top Bottom