29 JULY: Introduction to Defensive Knife / Defensive Pistol - New Orleans

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    View attachment 27798

Introduction to Defensive Knife / Defensive Pistol.

Sunday, 29 July 2012, 9:00-5:00.

LOCATION: Indoor Range New Orleans Metro Area. Will send address to persons on list.

WHO: SR-NOLA (knife), Brannon L (pistol)

Brannon has offered free use of (his soon to be completed) indoor training facility.

There will be NO fees for this training. Just bring yourself, pistol, ammo, gear, and lunch (see gear list).

Training will consist of defensive knife skills for the first half of the day, then after lunch switch over to pistol training.

Please PM me and get on the class list. There are 12 spots available. First come First served.

Gear List:

Please bring the following:
    Training folder (if you have one), if you don't have one let me know... I have some loaners.
    Functional Pistol, Backup Pistol if you want.
    Functional Magazines (2 minimum)
    200 Rounds Quality Ammo - NO RELOADS
    Pistol cleaning gear, tools, any additional range kit you use.
    Eye protection (clear or suitable for indoor),
    Ear protection (electronic preferred)
    Arm guard (ACE style bandage or neoprene calf supports from Academy)...this is a must have, your forearm will take a beating!
    Trainer pistol (red gun blue gun), holster, gun belt, magazine pouches (ALL OPTIONAL)
    Appropriate clothing for training (t shirt, athletic shoes, etc) we will work on mats for the knife training
    We will be grappling for the knife training portion, athletic supporter recommended.
    Personal Hygiene strongly recommended.
    Hydration
    Towel
    Lunch and snacks
    Open Mind
    Good Attitude

Feel free to send any questions, if there is any gear that you dont have, let me know ahead of time.

Looking forward to training with you guys.

SR-NOLA

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    CLASS FULL. Get on the waiting list. We had a few cancellations last time and were able to extend the opportunity to the waiting list and fill the class.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Well im too late but why no reloads

Not too late to get on the list, there is usually someone who has to cancel for one reason or another.

Nothing against reloads but there is more chance that something can go wrong with reloads than new quality factory ammo. We are trying to squeeze a lot of pistol information into 4 hours of instruction and dont want to have to slow the class down to correct issues with ammo.

GR8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Hi SR NOLA, i recently joined and saw your group for defensive Knife and pistol, and I have been looking for something like this for a while, anyway I was wondering if I could be in the waiting list for the 29th (knife practice only)-----Now, here is the thing, I don’t have a gun yet, so my main interest is in the knife training! I am planning to by a hand gun but it is not going to happen in the near future. Also, I was wondering if you are still doing the weekends (every two Sunday) group meetings at the park for knife defense practice.
    Thanks, GR

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Hi SR NOLA, i recently joined and saw your group for defensive Knife and pistol, and I have been looking for something like this for a while, anyway I was wondering if I could be in the waiting list for the 29th (knife practice only)-----Now, here is the thing, I don’t have a gun yet, so my main interest is in the knife training! I am planning to by a hand gun but it is not going to happen in the near future. Also, I was wondering if you are still doing the weekends (every two Sunday) group meetings at the park for knife defense practice.
    Thanks, GR

Always room on the wait list, PM me for addition to the list, as for not having a gun yet..... that is not a problem. We are still training at City Park on Sundays.

bigpolar

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    baton rouge
    I really enjoyed this class. It was my first formal training since my CHL class, so I didn't know what to expect going into it, but I was very impressed.

The knife portion was a great introduction to eskrima-style knife manipulation, starting from how to grip and cut, through choosing a knife, and moving into full-contact training (with blunt trainers) that was pretty intense.

The pistol portion started with a pretty fast-paced class section, where we went over a lot of relevant material from gun basics through situational awareness and tactical preparedness. The range session was extremely helpful to me in particular, the instructor gave a lot of small corrections that made big differences in my control and speed. Having a timer out to try drills before and after corrections gave a very tangible measure of success that left me felling just a little more confident when the class finished.

Overall, what the course really gave me was the desire to seek out some additional training (preferably with these guys, if scheduling allows). I think that because I have not had much formal instruction, prior to this, I didn't know how much I would get out of it, it was really a lot more beneficial than I was expecting.

If this opportunity comes around again, I would really encourage everyone to give it a try, I'm sure it will be worth the tuition. For me, even with the drive down from Baton Rouge, it was more than worth the trip. Thanks again!

SqueeDAB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Noladishu, Karjakistan
    Good stuff. Echoing the above, the pistol portion was great in correcting some basic, fundamental stuff that sometimes gets overlooked. The improvement from line 1 to 4 was very notable.

The small class size lent itself very well to before and after corrections/suggestions.

There was also some good info on overcoming self-imposed obstacles/negative frame of mind during training (leave your ego at the door; learn from mistakes).

I'd never shot with a timer before and enjoyed that (and AIWB is fast).

Most of my pistol training in the last year or so has been based on, for lack of better term, point/instinctive shooting (w movement). There were definitely a couple times when I started to "punch" the target or shift my weight to move off the X. This session reinforced the idea that I need to keep up to speed on both.

The knife portion was a good refresher, and I'm glad to see blades getting some respect in the training environment. I'm looking forward to getting back into it on a regular basis.

Oh yeah...how's everyone's forearms this morning? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom