3 Calif. beaches closed after deadly shark attack

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I surf fish, swim, dive...not even worried about sharks...but I live in the woods and I'm am STILL freaky about snakes...

Maybe it's cause I eat shark and wouldn't eat a nake...or feeling shark skin is cool and I can't imagine touching a nake

But in the reality of things , there's probably just as much chance of gettin snake bit as shark bit

Where we live there is lot of snakes...but in the last three years no one has been hit that I know of...well...my dawgs..but they look for it

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    A quote from a professor I had during an advanced inferential statistics undergrad course..."If you torture your data enough, eventually they WILL confess"

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Could be... statistically speaking. However, statistics are used by rascals, to impress fools.

When you go into any large body of water, you have just entered an environment where you have NO advantages, and EVERY disadvantage... and you removed yourself from the top of the food chain.

I have heard, and have no link to back it up, that the increase of shark attacks is directly due to tourists swimming out in guided groups to feed them.

Seems to me if that's true, it's about as statistically stupid as standing in an aluminum boat and waving a lightning rod during a thunderstorm.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    But sharks don't like the taste of human flesh, remember? It's always an "accidental hapening"? Right?? Riiight!

They eat flesh and last I checked we are made of flesh.

I feel for the victims and their families but it's risk I'm not willing to take.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    This little girl was at the Oriskany during our dive right after getting married. The image is a screen grab from the video which was taken. Danielle and I were about 25-30' above, and didn't even know the shark was there! We were disappointed that we missed her.

From the video, it appears that the photographer was able to get to within 10-15' of the shark, which was swimming away from him, as they typically do. This is a sandbar shark, also known as a brown shark. Its proper name is Carcharhinus plumbeus. I'm guessing she was about 5-6' in length.

HammondShooter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Albany, Louisiana
    Just Choot 'em! Choot 'em! :D

No, really, this calls for the new Ronco Shark-proof hip waders. They're designed to make your legs look like two long pieces or coral! They're a bit hard to walk in though. :D

Shane

Top Bottom