3 gun steel plate sizes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HELLFIRE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    West Monroe/Lafayette
    I am looking to get into three gun and want to make some steel targets to shoot when i practice. I know the guy who owns Superlift (Which builds lift kits for trucks for those who dont know) and I was going to get them to cut me some on their laser machine. I know about what size the silhouette type targets are. Was just wondering if there was a standard size for the Circle/Square targets.

Also about what thickness steel are they?

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    Shotgun, rifle or pistol steel? USPSA or IMGA?
    If USPSA, USPSA.org has rules section that shows requirements to be used in that type match.
    If IMGA, could be almost anything. We use 3/8 angle cut at 5" set on stands and 4" circles for birdshot, full size IPSC steel and smaller 12"x18" hanging plates for slugs (full size at 100 yds) "B/C" size AR500 for rifle, you name it for pistol. These are some of what we use.

HELLFIRE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    West Monroe/Lafayette
    Shotgun, rifle or pistol steel? USPSA or IMGA?
    If USPSA, USPSA.org has rules section that shows requirements to be used in that type match.
    If IMGA, could be almost anything. We use 3/8 angle cut at 5" set on stands and 4" circles for birdshot, full size IPSC steel and smaller 12"x18" hanging plates for slugs (full size at 100 yds) "B/C" size AR500 for rifle, you name it for pistol. These are some of what we use.

Thanks man. I was looking to make something for pistol/Rifle. Rifle being no bigger than 5.56.

I went to the range in West Monroe today and did a little shooting. Shot their steel targets at 15 yards to get a little practice. I did better than I thought I would. I have always shot targets straight on. But it took me a bit to compensate for the angle difference when I got to the end plates. I finally slowed down and watched the bullets path. I was hitting all of them first hit except that last one. It was giving me hell.

Jesse Tischauser

The Mayor
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2010
    Guthrie, OK
    For rifle Make some 6" & 4" circles to mimic the MGM Autopopper targets that several major matches use. Make some 8 & 10" circles because I think the R&R plate racks are that size. Then make some 10" circles with a 5" square on top to mimic the MGM flasher. Use only AR500 steel. Check the MGM and R&R targets websites for eexact thicknesses.

For pistol make some 4",6", 8", & 10" circles and squares along with some 4"x10 rectangles for pistol and shotgun.

Heck just make about every shape and size target you can think of since 3 gun has no governing body so thetr are no rules against creating a trapezoid or triangle target tomorrow.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom