3 Officers Involved in Shooting at Summerlin Costco

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    exactly what information was relayed to officers while en route

I'm a little rusty here, but some courts have ruled in the past that heresay information does not give rise to grounds for a stop. Then again, that pendulum may have swung the other way by now. But as we can see, the heresay info provided by COSTCO employees was largely misleading, and they did not follow up that SCOTT was complying with a general evacuation order and had left the store.

Basically, COSTCO mad a false police report and didn't back it off. UH-OH.

Q. How many COSTCO employess does it take to install a lightbulb?

A. Thousands. One to hold the bulb, and the others to turn the building.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don't believe that hearsay is at issue here. When the officers arrived, they apparently talked directly to the Costco employees, who then pointed out the guy they were talking about.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't believe that hearsay is at issue here. When the officers arrived, they apparently talked directly to the Costco employees, who then pointed out the guy they were talking about.

Lou, ignore his posts. He does this every single time something legal comes up. I try not to feed him from the hand as it only encourages his instigator shenanigans.

Most everyone here is intelligent enough to know the initial call came out as a DTP with violent irrational behavior, and BTW.....he also has a gun.

The under the influence was secondary to the initial call.

Even if he was not on anything and did not have a gun, the initial complaint of DTP and refusal to leave would have been more than enough for a police response.

I guess PC would have had the police handle it over the phone?:rolleyes:

i guess if you call the police and say someone is breaking into PC's house, the police should not come, because it is just hearsay.

Seriously, join me in starving this particular troll out.:o

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I'm a little rusty here, but some courts have ruled in the past that heresay information does not give rise to grounds for a stop. Then again, that pendulum may have swung the other way by now. But as we can see, the heresay info provided by COSTCO employees was largely misleading, and they did not follow up that SCOTT was complying with a general evacuation order and had left the store.

Basically, COSTCO mad a false police report and didn't back it off. UH-OH.

Q. How many COSTCO employess does it take to install a lightbulb?

A. Thousands. One to hold the bulb, and the others to turn the building.

You can't be this dense!

OOPS!

Sorry Nola.......

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Person: "Hello, Police? My neighbor has been shot! OMG There is blood EVERYWHERE!"

Police: "We're sorry, you are going to have to get him to call us, we don't respond to third party complaints."

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Lou, ignore his posts. He does this every single time something legal comes up. I try not to feed him from the hand as it only encourages his instigator shenanigans.

Most everyone here is intelligent enough to know the initial call came out as a DTP with violent irrational behavior, and BTW.....he also has a gun.

The under the influence was secondary to the initial call.

Even if he was not on anything and did not have a gun, the initial complaint of DTP and refusal to leave would have been more than enough for a police response.

I guess PC would have had the police handle it over the phone?:rolleyes:

i guess if you call the police and say someone is breaking into PC's house, the police should not come, because it is just hearsay.

Seriously, join me in starving this particular troll out.:o

Thanks for the heads up and I will try. I just hate to leave incorrect and/or stupid **** hanging out there. :rolleyes: But I get your point. Maybe a simple canned response of "NOPE! NOT THIS TIME EITHER!" ;)

RagnarD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Jury has ruled the shootings justified.

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13233441

Such a tragedy. Imagine if he weren't dead, if somehow he were on trial for the same situation. I have no idea what the charges would be, since by all indications he hadn't done a thing wrong until the cops showed up with guns drawn (possibly damaged some property if manager reports were confirmed). But lets say he was on trial for his life for some reason... does anyone really think, with all the holes in the case, the unreleased radio calls (only partials, leaked by scanner), the conflicting reports, the background and total lack of motive of Scott, and a photo of a gun on the ground still in its holster, that there isn't reasonable doubt here?

The cops have to make a tough judgment call in a split second. I have had to draw my weapon on duty in uncertain circumstances and wonder when exactly I was going to pull the trigger; I don't envy their situation. They erred on the side of their own safety; and I suppose that's the natural reaction and hard to hold against them. But in the end, I hope they do realize that they still erred. I hope when they go to bed tonight, lives and futures intact, loved ones safe, that they still understand that ultimately their decision, however well intentioned and difficult to make, was the wrong one, and cost another man his life, and many others their loved one. May their eyes be sharper and their judgment quicker in the future.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Such a tragedy. Imagine if he weren't dead, if somehow he were on trial for the same situation. I have no idea what the charges would be, since by all indications he hadn't done a thing wrong until the cops showed up with guns drawn (possibly damaged some property if manager reports were confirmed). But lets say he was on trial for his life for some reason... does anyone really think, with all the holes in the case, the unreleased radio calls (only partials, leaked by scanner), the conflicting reports, the background and total lack of motive of Scott, and a photo of a gun on the ground still in its holster, that there isn't reasonable doubt here?

The cops have to make a tough judgment call in a split second. I have had to draw my weapon on duty in uncertain circumstances and wonder when exactly I was going to pull the trigger; I don't envy their situation. They erred on the side of their own safety; and I suppose that's the natural reaction and hard to hold against them. But in the end, I hope they do realize that they still erred. I hope when they go to bed tonight, lives and futures intact, loved ones safe, that they still understand that ultimately their decision, however well intentioned and difficult to make, was the wrong one, and cost another man his life, and many others their loved one. May their eyes be sharper and their judgment quicker in the future.

Hmmmm, I wonder who this Johnny come lately is......:rolleyes:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

First post eh? :rolleyes:

I'm sure they'll sleep fine.

Scott put everyone around him, his girl friend, and the Cops in a HORRIBLE situation. He ALONE got himself beyond the lethal dose of pain medications and was obviously out of his mind as evident of him doing ANYTHING BUT obeying the orders of Police Offices with guns drawn.

Scott alone is responsible for his death.

Although tragic, SHAME ON HIM for putting everyone around him in this situation.

Also what's sad is that during his CHP class he was taught the law that states that he couldn't be under the influence while carrying.

Sad indeed, but I don't think the officers made any errors, they did what they had to.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Responsibility for the death lies 100% in the hands of the dead guy. Seems to me, the LEO's were pretty much (as much as the current evidence can prove) telling the truth. I suspected no less after hearing how they generally responded on the 911 tape.

Who knows why the guy was all hopped up? We may never know. Fact is he broke the law and the LEO's responded. By the book in this case. Everyone did everything they could to cast discredit on their story, including alluding to blaming them for cameras that were broken a week before the incident.

I am sure more background will emerge, at least 50% will be false or speculation, but going on my past experience once again...sounds like the guy had some form of mental health issue which for an unknown reason escalated from an episode to SBC; or he was so far out of hit, an otherwise educated and intelligent man by virtue of his background made a fundamental mistake due to his IMPAIRMENT BY PRESCRIBED DRUGS.

The police did exactly what WE PAY them to do--they responded. People are under the misnomer that the police control the scene with their loud voices, SWAT uniforms, and drawn guns. It is an ILLUSION of control. The suspect, more evidently in this case, always controls the scene. The LEO simply reacts in a manner meant to steer the end result to a desired outcome. That does not always work as we have seen here.

It is a shame what appears to be an otherwise productive member of society died for some unknown demon, but it was ultimately his doing. WE could expect nothing else from the police. He went for a gun in a HIGHLY choatic scenario. I would much rather him be dead for what he did then the cops who we ask to put themselves in that position in our place to be dead for what they didn't do.

If the guy had just robbed the place with aski mask, no one would bat an eye. They fact that he was white, not involved in a commonl violent crime, and had a stellar background clouded the facts.

he was high, he failed to follow lawful and pretty reasonable commands, he was a danger to the life and safety of the LEO and the general public, and now he is dead.

It is a shame but it is completely reasonable and justified.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Such a tragedy. I'm sure the cops involved won't sleep well as I'm sure they haven't slept well since the incident. It can't be an easy thing for a good person to have to take another person's life. If you can pray, then this would be a good time to do so.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Such a tragedy. I'm sure the cops involved won't sleep well as I'm sure they haven't slept well since the incident. It can't be an easy thing for a good person to have to take another person's life. If you can pray, then this would be a good time to do so.

Add to that the fact that in this case, it is not a "morally justified" shooting. I think the guy was in a bad place. It is not like he was a murder or rapist.

Perfect example of cops doing what society asks them to do...something most could or would not do.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    he was high, he failed to follow lawful and pretty reasonable commands, he was a danger to the life and safety of the LEO and the general public, and now he is dead. It is a shame but it is completely reasonable and justified.

he was high
    Irrelevant.

he failed to follow lawful and pretty reasonable commands
    So there WERE various commands directed at Scott? Was Scott holding the .45 when directed to drop it? Or did he have to reach down to the waist and retrieve it, unhooking the holster, in order to drop it. I mean like, WTF did that cop want Scott to do? One witness yesterday gave credible testimony that the command to drop his weapon was followed immediately by gunfire as Scott was shot. Let me be clear here. The cop told Scott what to do, and Scott then did exactly that, and was shot and killed for his trouble. In civil court, where this case is headed next, this is called detrimental reliance and often brings about considerable monetary awards.

In summation, Scott apparently committed no crimes inside COSTCO that were testified to. Then he was fingered by COSTCO security outside after leaving the store in an instructed evacuation, and subsequently shot to death with excessive force. The other two cops didn't need to shoot; Scott was on the way down and out after the first cop fired. They probably fell victim to the recognized syndrome whereby when one cop shoots, they all tend to shoot. Google it under Michael Bell NYPD shooting or find it in the NY Times archives.

I'm reminded of the retired New Jersey school teacher who applied to his local police force. They told him he was too intelligent to be a good cop. Now, New Orleans wants to mandate incoming cops have college degrees. Might be intelligent life left on this planet yet.

ps: Don't worry, NOLACOP. When you get out of law school, it will all look different than it does now.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Irrelevant.

So there WERE various commands directed at Scott? Was Scott holding the .45 when directed to drop it? Or did he have to reach down to the waist and retrieve it, unhooking the holster, in order to drop it. I mean like, WTF did that cop want Scott to do? One witness yesterday gave credible testimony that the command to drop his weapon was followed immediately by gunfire as Scott was shot. Let me be clear here. The cop told Scott what to do, and Scott then did exactly that, and was shot and killed for his trouble. In civil court, where this case is headed next, this is called detrimental reliance and often brings about considerable monetary awards.

In summation, Scott apparently committed no crimes inside COSTCO that were testified to. Then he was fingered by COSTCO security outside after leaving the store in an instructed evacuation, and subsequently shot to death with excessive force. The other two cops didn't need to shoot; Scott was on the way down and out after the first cop fired. They probably fell victim to the recognized syndrome whereby when one cop shoots, they all tend to shoot. Google it under Michael Bell NYPD shooting or find it in the NY Times archives.

I'm reminded of the retired New Jersey school teacher who applied to his local police force. They told him he was too intelligent to be a good cop. Now, New Orleans wants to mandate incoming cops have college degrees. Might be intelligent life left on this planet yet.

ps: Don't worry, NOLACOP. When you get out of law school, it will all look different than it does now.

Ignore.jpg

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Perfect example of cops doing what society asks them to do...something most could or would not do.

On the contrary. If the cops and the DA will recuse themselves in all criminal cases, including homicides, I'll handle it, thank you. I'm sure a lot of people posting here feel the same way. The problem is, the cops can't be everywhere. But we are.

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    Irrelevant.

THIS \/ \/

Top Bottom