30-06 XL7 165gr HPBT

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    Here is my load work I did today for my hunt this coming week with my Marlin 30-06 XL7 using a 165gr Sierra HPBT in front of 60.9grs of W760, Rem brass, Rem 9 1/2M primers. Also will be taking my Big 8.

3006165grHPBT.jpg

NOTE: No pressure signs and easy ejection.

file-1193.jpg

file-1312.jpg

High velocity was 3016fps and Low was 3003fps and Average was 3008fps

file-440.jpg

file-299.jpg

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    I have already planned on backing down to around 2920fps -2930fps and not because of any functioning problem with my 06 but just to be on the safe side because the velocities are high even though the primers are fine, and the base has not expanded to much and it ejects fine, I am still going to lower the velocities.

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    Frankly, I think my load with the velocities I got could be to close to the edge if not over even though my rifle did not act like it was at max pressure or not. Will be lowering my velocities by at least 70fps until I see the results of the strain gauge.

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    Well, I am kind of glad I did not get a chance to use the loads in my 06. I would not have wanted them to be a devastating load and then after the strain gauge test find out I am to far over the edge on pressures. Frankly, I am going to be doing a lot of bullet and load testing and try to stay within acceptable pressures and have good accuracy. The 180gr Ballistic tip will be one or the prime candidates for the 30-06 because the velocities of the 30-06 are perfect for that bullet and I can use that bullet in the 06 on anything but dangerous game. Of course there will be plenty of other bullets to try. I do like heavy for caliber if I can have accuracy and top velocities for the bullet weight used. Will also ring out that entry level Marlin XL7 to see what is good, bad, indifferent and what I like and dislike about the rifle.

So far I find it shoots good, it is light, smooth bolt for an entry level rifle but not smooth like my Nosler TRG or some of my other more expensive rifles. The balance is really nice and that was a surprise. I like the pillar bedding, but I do not like the plastic magazine follower. The trigger is nice and it is adjustable. The best thing it has going for it being an entry level rifle is it's accuracy and marlin has seemed to put a good barrel on the rifle and the barrel locking nut is not bad looking like on the older Savage rifles. Not through with a complete evaluation of it until I get a few hundred more rounds through it and some different bullets and loads. All and all for the money it seems to be pretty good deal. Pulses are the accuracy, balance and feel along with the trigger.

BIG1LOST

Displaced Montanan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pineville
    .300...I have an '06 on a small ring Mauser action,and because of it I keep my loads at the original '06 vel.s/press.s,...150's@2700+- and 180's@2500+-,and 220's @ 2300+-... in the field,I can't tell the diff. from the loads I use in my FN '98,except for recoil impulse,or at long range,(350+).Today's bulets are better/more consistant for vel. ranges for which they are engineered...good bullets,use them within the vel. peramiters(?) they are designed for,and as high a BC as your mag. will let you use and you can't go wrong even at lower vel.s and pressures.

SEND IT !

Last edited:

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    Received a text today from the gunsmith doing the strain gauge test on my 165gr load with W760. Now my 165gr load in my 06 using W760 was on the hot side, but not as hot as even I assumed it was. Most ammo for the 30/06 is loaded from 58,000 to 60,000.

Pressure for a modern cartridge like the .270Win is 65,000

Here are the three rounds he tested from my loads of W760 that reached over 3,000 plus fps

1. 63,977
    2. 63,423
    3. 63,855
    Average = 63,751

Two steps I am taking to lower pressure with this load –

1. First, was considering using standard rifle primer instead of Magnum primer, but W760 with compressed or close to compressed loads is generally more accurate with Magnum primers so I will reduce load charge.

2. Reducing load charge by 2 grains.

I will bring this load to somewhere in the low to mid 2900fps range. My 30-06 was and could handle the load I developed and my brass did not lie to me. I will not push my rifle because there is no need to do so. If I want 3,000fps plus out of a 165gr bullet I could use the 300WSM and more preferably the 300Win mag since I like the 300Win mag better than the 300WSM.

I found it interesting that I was able to get 3,000 plus feet per second without extreme pressures. Of course this is with my particular rifle and every rifle will act a little different to loads that is why I work up my loads in steps for each of my rifles and cartridges.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    You can't beat the Marlin XL7 for a cheap rifle that shoots great. I have one I bought from my buddy with a Nikon Prostaff BDC 3-9x40 scope on it for $350. I'm sure the other offerings out there will shoot as good or almost as good in the Savage Axis, Ruger American, Mossberg ATR, or Stevens 200 rifles.

Top Bottom