30 caliber can suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Absolutely. I wish I had a good Db meter to actually see how much it did quiet it down. Definitely noticeable though and lighter too.
    Just to elaborate on what led to the recore... Really don't know how many rounds I had down on my old 30p-1 shooting matches with it thru the years. I've been thru a few barrels with it so I can only guess 8k to 10k. Sent them an email asking cost on retreading it and they said to send it in so they could put thread gauges on it. I got a phone call from them and said they don't see it often but the threads were wore out due to use. They restacked it with the Ultra baffles and redid the threads $0 charge. Unbelieveable customer service. Within the past 2 months I bought 2 more thunderbeast cans. An Ultra 9 cb and their takedown .22 can. Can't go wrong with them and they stand behind their products.

nola.bugler

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    New Orleans
    I won a bet with my wife last month and now I get to get a new suppressor.

I would like it to be for both my 10.5" 300 BLK as well as my Remington 700 in .308.

I have looked at the new Mystic X but can't really find any information/videos of the new core being shot through a .308 so I'm not sure how it will do. I have also looked a the Griffin Aramament Optimus and like both of them for there multiple caliber ability. I already have an M4-2000 for my 5.56 AR so I don't need this one to for that but would be nice to use it on .22lr.

I'm not really sure which to go with, or if there is a better option out there so I figured I would ask.

So, if you were in my shoes, what 30 cal can would you get with main focus being for 10.5" 300 BLK and Remington 700 in .308?

Also, side question for dealers on here. Do suppressors fall under the sales tax holiday that is coming up in September?

You've definitely got some solid advice to consider. I have the Omega 30 and it's a great can. You mentioned that it'd be nice to suppress .22LR and if that's still a consideration, I'd point you back to one of your original two suppressors. The Optimus is a great do-it-all can. It's rated for 300BLK and .308 and is user-serviceable, making it suitable on a .22LR pistol or rifle. It's a little large and heavy for .22LR but perfectly doable. You can also use it on 9mm up to .300 WM. I have this can as well so I don't have loyalties to any one brand. Half of my suppressors are SiCo but I also have many Griffin cans as well as cans from SIG, Ruger, Dead Air, and Rugged. I'm looking into Q cans.

The other cans mentioned here aren't user-serviceable so shooting .22LR isn't the best idea. But if .22LR isn't that important to you, any of the aforementioned cans will do you good.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Quite happy with my DeadAir Sandman L and S. To my ear, the L is quieter on my .300 WinMag than my .308 AR

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    You've definitely got some solid advice to consider. I have the Omega 30 and it's a great can. You mentioned that it'd be nice to suppress .22LR and if that's still a consideration, I'd point you back to one of your original two suppressors. The Optimus is a great do-it-all can. It's rated for 300BLK and .308 and is user-serviceable, making it suitable on a .22LR pistol or rifle. It's a little large and heavy for .22LR but perfectly doable. You can also use it on 9mm up to .300 WM. I have this can as well so I don't have loyalties to any one brand. Half of my suppressors are SiCo but I also have many Griffin cans as well as cans from SIG, Ruger, Dead Air, and Rugged. I'm looking into Q cans.

The other cans mentioned here aren't user-serviceable so shooting .22LR isn't the best idea. But if .22LR isn't that important to you, any of the aforementioned cans will do you good.
    not for nothin... for the price of an optimus, he could pick up a specwar 7.62 AND a .22lr specific can from Meplat.

If it were me, that's how i'd play it.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    not for nothin... for the price of an optimus, he could pick up a specwar 7.62 AND a .22lr specific can from Meplat.

Honestly, whether you buy from me or someone else a centerfire rifle can and a rimfire can are two totally different animals.

If you look at the centerfire rifle cans from all major manufacturers (Griffin is not a major manufacturer, not even a full point of market share and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the year) you will note that their centerfire rifle cans are not user serviceable. There are several reasons for this.

One is centerfire rifle cans have so much heat and pressure going through them they are basically self cleaning. Another is that same heat and pressure causes things to expand and contract and move and shoots microscopic parts of dirt between parts making them wear against each other when they move. There is no way Mickey would have been able to put 8-10k rounds through that TBAC if it had been user serviceable. It would have worn so much faster leading to a degradation of accuracy and suppression and eventual baffle strikes.

By the same token, because rimfire ammo is so filthy, rimfire cans MUST be user serviceable. Most need to be disassembled and have the dirt knocked out of them every 500 or so rounds. The sparrow can go 2000 rounds between cleaning because of its unique construction.

There are a lot of great multi caliber suppressors out there. The Silencerco Hybrid for instance can do everything a standard .30 centerfire rifle can (.300WM on down) plus it can handle the big bore centerfire rifle calibers (.335, .35, .444, .45-70, .450, .458 etc.) as it has a .46 bore. It can also be used for pistol calibers although in all honesty when it comes to pistol rounds it is better used as a pistol caliber carbine can because it be a bit heavy on pistols.

We strongly discourage people from running rimfire rounds through their centerfire rifle or pistol cans and on many centerfire suppressors running rimfire rounds will void the warranty.

I know it's an extra tax stamp to buy a separate can for rimfire but better to cry once and get the right tool for the job. When you are investing the $200 tax stamp in something, better to do in it in a top quality piece that will last a lifetime with companies that will be around to service their product forever as opposed to buying something from some of the Harbor Freight quality outfits out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston

This is actually the plan that I have decided to go with. Talked to the wife and she agreed that for the price of a tax stamp it would be more beneficial to get two cans instead of just the one. Some time next year will be a good day. :bigok:

Kenny,

I'll call you later to work out the details.

Last edited:

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    This is actually the plan that I have decided to go with. Talked to the wife and she agreed that for the price of a tax stamp it would be more beneficial to get two cans instead of just the one. Some time next year will be a good day. :bigok:

Kenny,

I'll call you later to work out the details.

awesome! great choice.

If i may be so bold... take a look at the dead air 22 can and the Q erector. The dead air is dead quiet and the Q erector is so light weight it is silly. ( niether is the cheapest, but both are awesome for different reasons. they both have their own strengths and weaknesses. )

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    When you get your new centerfire can, weigh it.
    I learned that centerfire can does need to be cleaned.
    Thunderbeast recommends that you clean their 30 cal cans once you build up 2-3oz of carbon. I had one doing some wacky poi shifts. Cleaned it thoroughly and it started acting right again.
    They recommend soaking it in clr for a few days. It won't jack up the finish.
    A small fish tank pump flowing cleaner thru speeds it up. You can use an ultrasonic but they don't using clr in the ultrasonic.
    Here is my before and after.
    71ec3d06b9099f55479fe754be0450d0.png

f716f4332da1b4311e49ec22afe2a64f.png

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    When you get your new centerfire can, weigh it.
    I learned that centerfire can does need to be cleaned.
    Thunderbeast recommends that you clean their 30 cal cans once you build up 2-3oz of carbon. I had one doing some wacky poi shifts. Cleaned it thoroughly and it started acting right again.
    They recommend soaking it in clr for a few days. It won't jack up the finish.
    A small fish tank pump flowing cleaner thru speeds it up. You can use an ultrasonic but they don't using clr in the ultrasonic.
    Here is my before and after.
    71ec3d06b9099f55479fe754be0450d0.png

f716f4332da1b4311e49ec22afe2a64f.png

True. I generally refer to centerfire rifle cans as self cleaning and in practice most people will a) never shoot enough rounds to need cleaning or b) don't shoot accurately enough to notice a POI shift. Mickey you are obviously do both. LOL.

I will add that people who shoot unjacketed lead bullets through their centerfire rifle cans will need to soak them more often as well. Also most major can manufacturers will happily do this for you, often for no charge.

Mickey I give your email address out every so often to prospective FPR/F-Class/youth shooters as a resource to contact to get started. Hope that's OK. You are a great ambassador to long range shooting here in Louisiana.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    True. I generally refer to centerfire rifle cans as self cleaning and in practice most people will a) never shoot enough rounds to need cleaning or b) don't shoot accurately enough to notice a POI shift. Mickey you are obviously do both. LOL.

I will add that people who shoot unjacketed lead bullets through their centerfire rifle cans will need to soak them more often as well. Also most major can manufacturers will happily do this for you, often for no charge.

Mickey I give your email address out every so often to prospective FPR/F-Class/youth shooters as a resource to contact to get started. Hope that's OK. You are a great ambassador to long range shooting here in Louisiana.

Thanks for the kind words Sir.
    Absolutely give my contact info to anyone that I can help getting into one of our matches.
    Helping new shooters get started competing is all part of giving back to the sport.

nola.bugler

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    New Orleans

I agree that two caliber specific suppressors will always be better than any do-it-all suppressor, and I'm glad that the OP went that route. I still contend that the Optimus is a good choice given his initial requirements.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    I have the Omega 30 and love it. I also went through Kenny for the supressor/trust combo. It was so easy its silly to even have to go through all this for a can. Its the year wait after thats the killer.

Top Bottom