300 blackout AR Pistol Build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    Hope you folks enjoy my first ground up build...

It's an AR Pistol with a 300 blackout barrel, I had an itch to build something super compact and extremely portable. Ofcourse, it doesn't help that I watch as many YouTube videos as humanly possible. One of the guys I watch is Military Arms Channel, personally I think he has the best production value and the most thoughtout script.

This is one of the videos that led me to do this build
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cuJXyV29MU&list=UUZ-qxagOkAmCEP-Tu6YliUQ

Enough talks, moar pics!

a quick rundown on what it's made up of:
    Aero Precision Blem lower from PSA
    DPMS LPK
    Magpul MIAD
    Law Tactical Folding Stock Adapter Gen3
    KAK Industries pistol buffer tube, spring and buffer Gen 2
    QD endplate
    SB15
    BCM Gunfighter charging handle
    CMMG Upper
    Rockriver BCG
    Dolos QD barrel system
    Law Guns 8.5" 300 blk 1:7 twist barrel
    Generic Pistol gas tube
    BCM low profile gas block
    Ferfrans Comp and CRD
    Aimpoint PRO
    Magpul Sling mount

Side Notes:
    Not sure if i was more surprised that the AR pistol ran on its maiden voyage or if it ran smoothly w/o any FTE or FTF w/Fiocchi 150gr. With all the tacticool add ons, it does weigh at a somewhat hefty @ approximately 7-8 lbs (so says my bathroom scale). Though I think that w/o the extra doodads, it could weigh as little as 6 lbs. The Ferfrans has about .8 lbs to the front of the rifle, the PRO adds another .6, the Law Tactical folding stock adapter weighs nearly 1 lbs ... though, surprisingly the Dolos doesn't add much weight (not the mention the KAK industries buffer tube is hefty for what it is).

Testing the Ferfrans CRD
    I was able to compare the Ferfrans Comp (minus CRD) to that of my Lantac Dragon on my BCM AR. While the concussion with the Ferfrans Comp was lighter felt in comparison, it did not seem as obnoxious to the folks beside me. With the CRD attached, all felt concussion was pushed forward making it quite nice to shoot. I even moved my ear covers off to the side to experience what it would feel like to not have ear protection on... it's not unbearable ... still loud ... but not unbearable. (you'll never ever catch me shooting that BCM with the Lantac w/o any sort of ear protection).

Testing the Dolos System:
    Kinda cool kinda gimmicky, overall the idea is great for portability. Though, one of the areas that failed quite often, was the way the adapter plate mounted to the upper receiver. There are 3 set screwed, with the set screws are #8 shot pellet that go into the hole first with the set screw tightening down, crushing the #8 shot protecting the threads on the upper receiver. In theory it works, and if lightly used, you'll never have an issue. The issue was everyone else, having such a cool attachment onto the fore-end, everyone just had to remove and reattach the barrel as many time as they could, just to reassure themselves that the barrel was seated properly. After so many runs the adapter plate rotating off it's seated position, I decided to put some RockSet in place, now the darn thing feels "bullet-proof" (see what i did there). no more worries about the adapter rotating off due to excessive torque.

Testing the Law Tactical folding stock adapter
    There isn't much to go wrong here. Besides it needing to be in the "locked" position to shoot the AR in semi-auto fashion. I don't have experience with the Gen 2 or Gen 1 models, but i can tell that the Gen 3s are robust and rock solid. My only gripe (more like annoyance) is that i wish it were spring loaded to stay open er folded. I do like the ability to field strip my AR w/o having to use any tools to remove the BCG extension piece. It's held together with "o-rings" which look more like compression fit spacers. Overall, I like it. (i kind of have to right? since i shelled out over 2 bills for it)

Overall I'm pretty happy with the build and the portability. I have yet to find the right case/murse to transport.

That was more winded than it should've been. Hope this helps anyone else looking to put together this setup
    Francis

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Man that is very nice. I just picked up a couple Aero lowers to SBR, one as a 300. I've been looking at that stock adapter but never considered the QD barrel. I plan on using it for EDC in my vehicle to replace my Draco; that would fit the job nicely. Thanks for posting a parts list.

Edit: just watched some of the videos on it. Seems like it holds zero well; have you had the same results?

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Just stay with the direct impingement gas system. Blackout doesn't play well with pistons. I know...

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    Man that is very nice. I just picked up a couple Aero lowers to SBR, one as a 300. I've been looking at that stock adapter but never considered the QD barrel. I plan on using it for EDC in my vehicle to replace my Draco; that would fit the job nicely. Thanks for posting a parts list.

Edit: just watched some of the videos on it. Seems like it holds zero well; have you had the same results?

of the 50 rounds i've shot... it seems like it holds zero just fine, but that sample wasn't good enough, since i couldn't get the aim point dialed in... (was my fault, as i was sighting it in improperly)

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely a unique build. Looks like it could fit in a bowling ball bag with how compact it can get.

im not sure about quality, but it sure was inexpensive lol

- - - Updated - - -

honestly, with the SB15 being ruled for what it is, my days of wanting/needing an SBR are over with. i do like how super compact it is. it even fits in the armrest compartment in my jeep lol

- - - Updated - - -

Just stay with the direct impingement gas system. Blackout doesn't play well with pistons. I know...

i have no desire to go with piston on any of my builds... maybe one day i'll own a SCAR, but that's the limit on any piston rifle, DI has treated me well, and i know the system well enough to smith my own firearms.

- - - Updated - - -

Needs aimpoint micro! New version is out/coming out, think it's the t2

now would be a good time to jump on those t1 or h1 deals!

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    in the 4th pic, [ Law Tactical folding stock adapter ] is the buffer just scratched ? the detent looks bent over ? [ or just camera tricks ]

good eyes, it is a little bit on the cant... seems like the hole for the detent was drilled on an angle (or the hole itself is a bit larger than the detent), either way, it doesn't affect the springiness of the action. I'm not too concerned about it at this point. but i'll keep a close eye as i shoot it more often

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    I watched the install video....... they say to use their supplied detent ? is that theirs or the stock one.

Yes I realize its not the end of the world. Buffers are cheap. Just curious.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    I'm not trying to say you have done anything wrong.
    Looking at pics, they may have had to drill the hole at a slant? did they have a straight shot or does is the hole shrouded on the top side ?

Still very interested. That's a sweet rig you have.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    I'm not trying to say you have done anything wrong.
    Looking at pics, they may have had to drill the hole at a slant? did they have a straight shot or does is the hole shrouded on the top side ?

Still very interested. That's a sweet rig you have.

i just looked... there's definitely not a straight shot, looks like they may have drilled it on an angle.
    i didn't take it as a bad thing, i just never really noticed it until you pointed it out. (you must be an engineer or something lol)
    I'm just glad it shoots well and cycles. took a chance with a fairly unknown company.. but the price of it swayed my decision. can't beat $100 for a 8.5 300blk barrel!

Top Bottom