300 Blk, to Crimp or not to Crimp

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I'm making a trial of 300 Blk loads using Hornady 125gr SST and a variety of powders, H110, Lil'Gun, and 4227. Pretty much following the Hornady manual. The SST do have a cannuel with the OAL around 2.100". I've read a bunch of varying opinions on whether crimping is good or not. I realize this is just internet opinions but I would like to get BS opinions. What's your thoughts on whether this load should be crimped or not?

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    I don't as I have found no difference in the final product. Still have a Lee FC die. Very seldom does my load's OAL seem to line up with the crimping ring found on some like the SST. I found it shot better in my rifle a little longer then the ring would allow. BTW, have seen loaders have more problems by crimping then not and by problems I mean they won't chamber......YMMV.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I load 300 blk for 3 different rifles all AR and had a bunch of trouble at first trying to find that range where they would all cycle reliably. Very slight diff in the chambers I guess, but once I started gauging them all no problems. When I tried crimping, I found that even that slight pressure could sightly bump the shoulder a hair enough to make a difference. Since index is on the shoulder and seems really picky, I don't crimp. I don't think there is much if anything to gain. Mostly ignore the canneleur anyway if they have one.

Top Bottom