.308/7.62x51 Sniper Rifles ready to buy need some input

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glockmanG35

Explicit Lyrics
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    St. James Parish
    Well Im about to take the plunge and buy a .308 Sniper Rifle. I was initally was looking at a Rock River AR and set it up for a more "sniper feel". After looking around a have found something that interest me, the FNH model FNAR, it has what im looking for a semi-auto loading, good ammo size in the clip and I have read some really great reviews about the gun.

I know a few guys out there with them and have all gotten good review from them. I just wanted to put up a post to see if there are any rifles out there Im missing that I should be taking a look at. I have the scope a Nightforce 3.5x15x50 (very nice and expensive), put it on my 223 and WOW!!

I think what Im asking is the FNAR a good choice for me? I would like semi-auto loading, good clip capacity, accurate and reliable, and of course all b lack... ANYTHING IM MISSING?? Post me back

Thanks
    Brad

hdfreak1

Bikes and Guns
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Walker, LA
    From what I have seen of the FNAR, it looks fantastic. I would also check out the .308 savage model 10 BAS-K. Both seem to fit the bill, yet the Savage is a bolt action - vs the FNAR semi.

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    I'd like to have a LaRue OSR. The OSR is "feature" packed and I think coming from LaRue it would be a solid shooter. I don't know about the price or availibility and I have never handled or shot one but....

-James.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Why not just buy this:
    Complete Remington 700 Package - $1150

rementrypack-mk1-2.jpg

Package Includes:

1. Remington 700 Heavy Barreled Action, 26" barrel length
    2. .308 (1:12"), .243 (1:9.125"), .22-250(1:14"), .223(1:12")
    3. Bell & Carlson Light Tactical Medalist Synthetic Stock (Mk1), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel
    4. Bell & Carlson Vertical Grip Tactical Stock (Mk2), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel (No charge option)
    5. Legacy International 1 Piece Picatinny Rail (EGW) - 20 MOA
    6. Burris XTR Tactical Rings
    7. Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40mm Tactical Scope with mildot reticle
    8. Harris Bipod, solid mount, 9-13" or Versa-pod 9-13"
    9. Plano double rifle hard gun case
    10. Everything assembled and rifle zeroed at 100 yards
    11. $1150 total cost for standard colors ($1175 non-member price)
    12. $25 Shipping to the Lower 48 states, additional to AK & HI
    13. 8-10 week wait, mainly for the custom ordered stock, could be shorter, could be longer as well.

The rifles come completely assembled and zeroed at 100 yards. We fire the minimum amount of rounds to zero the rifle, usually 4-6. These few rounds should not interfere with the barrel break-in procedure by the owner if they elect to do so. Unfortunately the stocks take about 6-8 weeks to get in from the time we place the order. The package may change if new products are released that will perform better. The performance of the rifle cannot be guaranteed but they all seem to be shooting around .75 MOA or better while zeroing without any break in.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    or this:

howapack-price-tan.jpg

Of course performance needed to be decent but with the restriction of no custom work it would not be feasible to place an accuracy requirement on it due to the fact that they will be mass produced barreled actions and ultimate accuracy will be out of our control. After a little bit of research and examination what we came up with to achieve those goals is the following package:

1. Howa 1500 Heavy Barreled Action, 24" barrel length
    2. .308 (1:12"), .243 (1:10"), .22-250(1:14"), .223(1:12")
    3. Bell & Carlson Tactical/Varmint Medalist Synthetic Stock (Mk1), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel
    4. New B&C Vertical Grip Tactical Stock (Mk2), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel (No charge option)
    5. Legacy International 1 Piece Picatinny Rail (EGW) - 20 MOA
    6. Burris XTR Tactical Rings
    7. Bushnell 3200 10x Tactical Scope with mildots
    8. Harris Bipod, solid mount, 9-13" or Versa-pod 9-13"
    9. Plastic double rifle hard gun case
    10. $975 + $25 shipping total cost for standard colors ($1000 non-member price)
    11. 8-10 week wait, mainly for the custom ordered stock, could be shorter, could be longer as well.

Both rifles can be found :
    HERE

glockmanG35

Explicit Lyrics
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    St. James Parish
    The 700 was a option but it is bolt action, looking for semi-auto... I have shot a 700 and it is a great gun, just wish it was semi.....:(

Looking at some Barret models and LaRue stuff.. bit price-E but you get what you pay for, the FNAR is winning this race i think

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Glock,

if you wanna shoot my FNAR just let me know, u can borrow it sometime and run a few rounds thru it before u make the plunge.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Ahhhhh.
    You mean counter sniper or guerilla sniper rifle in semi auto that has a MAGAZINE, not a clip. Only the Garand takes a clip.

If you can find one, a Springfield M1A/M14 set up like a M25/M21 configuration. Smith enterprises builds some great ones.

glockmanG35

Explicit Lyrics
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    St. James Parish
    Took the pludge fellas got a really good deal with the FNAR, so there's my winner!! Longrange we gonna have to hook up and you could show me the ins n outs of that bad boy!!

I appreciate all the input and I did look at each system you spoke about, I would have love to get the Larue but HOAAAAAAAAAAAA on the price, its a AWESOME system but out of my range, this is the last gun Ill be buying for quite a while, I was on a mission to have matching 9mm, 40cal's, 223's and the last system I wanted was more towards "sniping", however the FNAR is an assualt rifle I read that several agencies around the world recognize this gun as a excellent sniper rifle, it had what Im looking for and the price was right so here I go.. Hell if I dont like it Ill sell it. I post some pics next week when I get it completed I will mount my Nightforce and bipod some time next week, when I do this Ill put them up.

Thanks again for the input guys!! I really apprecaite it!! Anybody wanna go shoot tonight somewhere?
    Brad

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Took the pludge fellas got a really good deal with the FNAR, so there's my winner!! Longrange we gonna have to hook up and you could show me the ins n outs of that bad boy!!

I appreciate all the input and I did look at each system you spoke about, I would have love to get the Larue but HOAAAAAAAAAAAA on the price, its a AWESOME system but out of my range, this is the last gun Ill be buying for quite a while, I was on a mission to have matching 9mm, 40cal's, 223's and the last system I wanted was more towards "sniping", however the FNAR is an assualt rifle I read that several agencies around the world recognize this gun as a excellent sniper rifle, it had what Im looking for and the price was right so here I go.. Hell if I dont like it Ill sell it. I post some pics next week when I get it completed I will mount my Nightforce and bipod some time next week, when I do this Ill put them up.

Thanks again for the input guys!! I really apprecaite it!! Anybody wanna go shoot tonight somewhere?
    Brad

tonight? if u have a place to shoot, ill bring my FNAR and lets dump the 250 rounds i got,lol.

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    What did you end up paying for the FNAR? I've been looking into getting a semi-auto 308 as well.

LongRange, dont' you have an FNAR and the DPMS 308; how do they compare to each other?

No comparison, not even close, the FNAR has better action, better comfort, better accuracy and better craftsmanship. would be comparing a Nascar to a Tyco car.

The FNAR is the only, factory guaranteed sub-moa assault rifle in the world. I shot mine using 168gr matchkings at 100yrds and out of 4, 5shot groups none were over .4 CTC.
    I fired a semi-rapid group of 15 @100yrds from a sandbag and was able to hold all rounds to under 1.5 CTC with a hot barrel.
    The action is basically as smooth as a Browning BAR, uses the same design, so imagine a BAR with 20round clip, heavy fluted barrel and assault style stock. The trigger is the grade of a high quality bolt rifle, short, smooth and brisk. I cant say enough about mine, i can't believe i waited this long for it.

No BS guys, if you buy this rifle, you WILL have a Favorite rifle. I set mine up with a Harris 1a, Burris 4.5x14x52, and Warne mounts. this rifle comes with tri pit rails on the forend, as well as 4 different recoil pads and cheek rests for different length and height adjusting to your person preferences.

This thing is 2nd only to my .257 weatherby, simply because i have shared life with my 257.

glockmanG35

Explicit Lyrics
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    St. James Parish
    Lonerange is my HERO!! Its offical.

I think I need my lil girls bib to keep the drool off me shirt.....LOL

Perhaps this rifle will give me the confidence I need to go get bigfoot or something...

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    BB, Glad you went for the best of both worlds, rapid fire and distance! That sure is a fine piece of equipment. The bolt action rifles suggested were all GREAT "sniper" long range rifles as well.
    Someone suggested the PTR-91, this too is a great rifle BUT why would you buy a battle rifle and use it as a long range "sniper rifle" when it has an effective range less that 400m's. OH and wait how about this LaRue OSR.....well we all know this thing is in a class ALL BY IT's SELF! That SOB just looks mean! I have a buddy that has one, and I have 2 problems with it! One I am afraid to pick it up and fire a few rounds thru it because I just can't afford to have one and 2; I just can't afford to have one!
    OH yeah and 3; I can't even see over 400m's much less shoot that far!! Long range for me is about 75 yards!!
    Let me know how ya like that FN, I would like to maybe pick one of these up one day! Never know, I may be able to pick up my shooting skills and hit a 1/2 silhouette at 200 yds. with that thing!! Congrats on a very nice rifle! ;)

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    OH and wait how about this LaRue OSR.....well we all know this thing is in a class ALL BY IT's SELF!

Nice set up but with a 16.1" barrel standard and "In a class all by itself" that might be stretching it a bit much. It is a very nice setup but there are other options that are as or even more impressive. Atleast for true "Sniper" type shooting.

Last edited:

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Nice set up but with a 16.1" barrel standard and "In a class all by itself" that might be stretching it a bit much. It is a very nice setup but there are other options that are as or even more impressive. Atleast for true "Sniper" type shooting.

i like the 20" fluted heavy barrel on the FNAR would have liked a 24"

Top Bottom