.308 AR platform

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Thanks Dave that's a kind offer !!
    Good place to start!
    And I know Patterson is a ways off, (I used to drive through 6 days a week for a couple months when working a job in Franklin ;)), but if you're ever in this neck of the woods, (Gretna), you're more than welcome to put some rounds through my POF.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I love the .308 AR platform...so much so that I bought two. Finally the price of admission and ammunition costs have lowered and we are seeing some very competitive rifles being developed. I just can't justify the cost of purchasing a .300 blackout setup at this time over my AK's...and .308 seems like the next logical jump in STOPPING POWER (keep your K word).

Sadly though BOTH of the .308 AR's that I bought in the last 6 months went back to their respective factories for repairs.

I sent one back for "accuracy issues" and they finally were able to shoot it (apparently hell froze over this winter in our Northern US) and I was told that it will receive a brand new barrel which will be guaranteed to be MOA-or-better (coming with a target) and is currently in transit back here. If it FINALLY shoots like it is advertised to, it will likely be my go-to rifle for HUNTING because of it's LITE profiled 20" Stainless barrel and nice trigger (figure it out).

The other had the most horribly ground hammer I have ever seen in an AR and I have no idea how it made it through the assumed rigorous inspection of this high quality company. The face of the hammer where it contacts the firing pin was ground about 5 degrees off of square with the pin. I noticed it while pulling the upper off to clean the rifle. The hammer had a noticeable "cant" to it and a crescent shaped moon on it where it had been contacting the firing pin on one side. This rifle has merely 80 rounds through it (break in) and I was shocked to see the wear showing already. I called, they asked for pictures, and after the gunsmith saw the pictures he said to send the whole rifle in for re-inspection and repair. I am sure it's a simple fix, and I wished they would just mail out a hammer as I requested, but I'll let them do all the work to keep my warranty.

So whatever you do...INSPECT the rifle thoroughly before you buy it. I am seeing some QC issues from even the biggest names in the biz right now.

Patrick

Last edited:

PharmDocSWLA

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    Lake Charles
    Can't speak toward most of the .308 ARs out there since I have little experience behind them, but I absolutely love my LWRC REPR 20". It's a little heavy to lug around but shoots like a dream.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394139628.185904.jpg

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    I just bought a Ruger SR 7.62. I like it a lot better than my DPMS's. Very accurate 2" groups at 200 yards with FMJ ammo off the bench with a bipod. That was shot with a Vortex 1-4X optics.

Scottr88

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Gonzales
    I have a new DPMS recon,it is shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards with federal fusion 165 grn.the trigger is better that most AR's I have seen,and breaks clean at 3.5 pounds.I want to change out the hand guard ,and it will be my hunting rifle for this season.This is the new GII version ,I really like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    evu8y7e6.jpg

Last edited:

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    I agree with the wait on Larue rifles. My 16" OBR 762 took close to fifteen months. Well worth the wait though.

Im sure it will be worth it. Its not a huge problem, because they dont charge you up front. Im just concerned that some legislation will get pushed through that would prevent me from getting it, before i get it. The way things are these days, it wouldn't surprise me.

2011ERIC

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Belle Chasse, La
    Corey,

I was worried about the same thing. Larue sent my lower to my FFL just in case that ever happened. Once they are ready to build the rilfe, you send in the lower as a "Repair on a rifle" It is then delivered to you house complete.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    What about Mega Arms? Anyone use their parts?
    I have a Lilja 24" .260 Rem built on a mega receiver set. I strongly recommend building your own that way you don't pay a penny for a part you didn't select specifically to suit your needs.

2011ERIC

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Belle Chasse, La
    They sent the lower about four of five months into the process. But that was when all that BS about banning assualt rifles started. Corey, if you ever want to try it out, let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom