.308 bolt action

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beaubonyx

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Lafayette
    Ok I would some feed back on two bolt action .308. The Remington 700 stock and then get some work done at the shop. The other one is new Ruger gunsigh scout rifle. I know what the rem 700 can be with some work. But I like the idea that I can use iron sights on the ruger. What is your thoughts on the 16" barrel? I am looking to make a bench rifle and also use it to maybe do some hunting.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    CZ makes the 550, and some Savages are equipped with iron sights in the Scout configurations. Savage makes some bench rest rifles for long-range shooting, and their team captain states that hand loading is the only modification they used The rifles, as stock, are capable of four or five inches at 1000 yards (at least according to the propaganda video, but seeing the new Savage's actions are great). Something to think about.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    The 550 prints nicely, but I am unsure what it is capable of, and I don't think it has iron sights.
    Hope that helps, Beau.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Been looking into the Ruger scout Rifle in 308, I'm sold but they appear to be in demand...Richies I believe has or can get

Dam cool looking gun

ScoutRifle.jpg
    [/IMG]

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I don't see any competition shooters with the Ruger. They are two different rifles for two different purposes. Sounds like you want the 700.

What he said

and if you have seen the rifles that boy has he KNOWS what hes talking about when it comes to rifles for out there in the 400 yds +

ppland

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    ville platte
    just bought a ruger gunsite scout last week. 769$ from impact guns.... i love it. esp being a bit stout in stature, it has a short stock with stackable inserts to fine-tune. i haven't shot it more than 50 or so yards but stacks bullets right out the box. lol, stacked them by itself, i didn't even have to pick it up!!! but really, when i shot it, it was such a pleasure. many ways to set it up. it has the traditional ruger mounts over the bolt for a scope. picatinny forward rail for a scout scope or just awesome peep iron sights. beautiful well made gun! if any of you are around ever around ville platte i would be happy to let you squeeze off a few rounds.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    If you want a scout rifle, the Ruger is the only way to go. I have had mine for a few months now and just love it. Waiting on the 10 round Alpha mags which are much shorter. BUT, it is what it is, a short light handy little rifle capable of delivering a decisive blow on targets up to 200 kilos at any range the operator is capable of making hits to the vitals. IT IS NOT a target rifle. If you want to shoot tiny little groups at long range, go with the 700.

Gunbeaux

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Boothville La.
    Rem 700 Sps tatical or Ruger

I have the Rem 700 SPS tatical with the threaded bbl and gillie green stock but wish I would have gotten the Ruger, the rem is a hole puncher but its a little heavy to hunt with, am looking for the best of both worlds, would be willing to trade.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom