.308 for the wife.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I want to get the wife into shooting more and shooting more comfortably.

The rules were as follows
    1. Caliber .308 because I have dies, bullets, primers, powders and several other firearms in this caliber.
    2. Muzzle brake and weight. She's not terribly recoil sensitive but if it pushes too hard at the range I won't get 5 rounds out of her before she's done.
    3. Nice trigger. Why buy another weapon with a crappy trigger?
    4. It would be nice if it weren't too expensive.

We picked up a Savage 10FPk in .308 with the accutrigger and a brake for $719, a set of leupold rings and bases and put on her Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and slapped on a Winchester bipod from Wal mart.

Here is what she said about it.

mrsgoodburbon said:
    I like it.

The recoil is very managable, although more noticeable with the 168gr ammo than it was with the 147gr. Trigger is great, very smooth and light. My husband is a douchebag...

It shoots as good as I make it shoot. This was my first group at 100 yards using the 168gr Match Kings, after our break in of 20 rounds.

167793_483328280381_575500381_6150546_6725531_n.jpg

162792_483327940381_575500381_6150534_4821401_n.jpg

168584_483328220381_575500381_6150544_887869_n.jpg

As a follow up.

We went to the range and shot the Savage for the first time. The trigger pull on this rifle is beautiful, in fact that is what finally sold us on this rifle. I was looking at an FN and the HOWA precision rifles when we were narrowing it all down and the Savage had a better trigger and a muzzle brake and neither of the other two rifles had these features. The FN was $200 more and had a hogue stock, and the Howa was $200 less and had some other sort of precision stock.

Rings are Leupold STD Medium Height. Screws Loc tite'd in.

Scope is her old Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40

The Winchester bipod is excellent for the money. Identical design to the Harris bipods for half the price, the only noticable difference being that the springs are lighter.

The Ammo used for break in and getting on paper was 147gr german DAG surplus, once on paper and sufficiently close to zero I stepped it out to 100. I Switched to the Georgia arms "canned heat" 168gr SMK. Group size stabilized at a little over 1" at 100 yds with a bit of noticable vertical stringing in both my groups and Katy's groups, both of us stringing up and to the right.

The barrel is free floated from the factory, and has 2 forward sling mounts. The recoil pad is supple and very pliable helping to mitigate what recoil can make it past the brake and weight of the gun itself.

If I were posed with the choice of buying this weapon again, I'd do it over again all day long, it was the perfect fit for what I wanted to accomplish.

I must admit though, I'd like to see how this thing could perform bedded in a better stock with better glass with actual match grade ammunition.

The 10 FPK is available in both McMilian an Choate stocks from the factory for additional money, and for my money I'd go McMillan but I want to customize it to fit Katy, as this is her rifle.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Very nice!! It would appear that your wife is very perceptive in her evaluations....HAHAHA!

;)

In retrospect I forgot to mention 2 things.

One is that I don't think the brake is timed right. If you look at the picture of her shooting you can see what I'm talking about.

The second is that I don't like the magazine very much. The 4 shot capacity is severely limited. I also don't like the fact that it funnels rounds to the center, this makes reloading slower and requires more concentration. I can't just reach up and push a few more rounds down without looking away from the scope.

Last edited:

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Great choice! My friend has one and it is truly one of the best bang for the buck rifles on the market for .308. I am really jealous of his trigger......

Top Bottom