.308 match ammo.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    It's time for me to start getting some decent ammo in .308. I need something that will shoot well, allow me to reload the brass, and be decently priced.

Is PPU 168 gr HPBT any good?

I'm going to want to start reloading, and am going to need reloadble cases.

Also of concern is the fact that my FAL bashes the brass pretty good. I would imagine that It can be straightened out with the dies, but would reduce the number of effective loads per brass greatly due to fatigue. Any experience with this?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    It's time for me to start getting some decent ammo in .308. I need something that will shoot well, allow me to reload the brass, and be decently priced.

Is PPU 168 gr HPBT any good?

I'm going to want to start reloading, and am going to need reloadble cases.

Also of concern is the fact that my FAL bashes the brass pretty good. I would imagine that It can be straightened out with the dies, but would reduce the number of effective loads per brass greatly due to fatigue. Any experience with this?

I'm not sure about match quality but I just bought a couple of 200 round cases of TAP from a guy on Gunbroker for $240 shipped. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=138417586

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Actually after looking around for the last few hours I have several questions.

168 gr versus 175 gr, which would be a better load for my FAL?

1. any opinon on the Milspec M118 bullets?
    http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8441&dir=278|281|727

2. I'm trying to build a cost estimate for reloading these rounds. I'm getting around 140-175 rounds per # of powder depending on which powder/round. If I purchase a 2k lot of all components I'm looking at ~$1113 for the first 2k (based on Wideners prices) and ~$763 for each subsequent reload of the original cases. Does this match up to what the guys who are loading this round are paying?

3. Any better sources for components?

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I find the Prvi Partisan 168 Match excellent in my .308 Weatherby, slightly better groups than Black Hills at much less the cost.

For that matter, I find the .223 Prvi 69 gr BTHP Match excellent as well for my 20 inch HB AR-15.

Prvi is great stuff at excellent prices in my experience.

Excellent brass as well.

They

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Just checked it out. I had heard that federal gold match was the standard, but it is double the price of the Privi.

Do what I did. In my case, I picked up a box of Black Hills and a couple boxes of Prvi to see if the results through my rifle were worth the extra cost.

I'm not willing to spend twice as much to reduce my groups by .10 of an inch ;)

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Hornady TAP is great ammo but the black cases are hard on dies and dull your cutters quick. Hornady Match ammo with brass cases would be a better route to go if you want to reload the brass.

The best route would be to save your money on the factory ammo and buy your reloading components. You can produce at worse as good as factory match ammo and with good accurate reloading practices BETTER for CHEAPER. Do some research, get yourself a press, the components, and be safe.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Ammo, and what types of components you will reload, is entirely dependent on what you plan to do with it. What twist you have in your barrel will also dictate what range of weight bullets you can shoot.

Try them all, but if you want some really tight groups then you'll probably find the quality match stuff to shoot the best. SMK's, Lapua Scenars, Bergers, and such. I've found Lake City once fired brass to be very accurate in my gas guns and it holds up well. Landry308 was selling some a while back and I picked up 1000pcs for a great price.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    Actually after looking around for the last few hours I have several questions.

168 gr versus 175 gr, which would be a better load for my FAL?

1. any opinon on the Milspec M118 bullets?
    http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8441&dir=278|281|727

2. I'm trying to build a cost estimate for reloading these rounds. I'm getting around 140-175 rounds per # of powder depending on which powder/round. If I purchase a 2k lot of all components I'm looking at ~$1113 for the first 2k (based on Wideners prices) and ~$763 for each subsequent reload of the original cases. Does this match up to what the guys who are loading this round are paying?

3. Any better sources for components?

Your prices are in the ballpark. I usually expect to reload match ammo for about $.45/rnd. BTW, those milspec 118's are not true Milsurp. IIRC, they're made by PRVI, not Lake City. I have no idea how good they are, but given the price, I personally would stick with a U.S. name brand. I'm partial to Hornady and Nosler. I also shoot a lot of SMK's but I got those from a guy that sold off his old stockpile at a bargain price. Not having a bit of experience with a FAL, can't answer what's best for it, but unless the barrel twist is 1/11 or faster, I wouldn't waste my time with the 175's. I'd stick with 168 or lighter. Even a 1/11 twist is sometimes iffy. FWIW, I also prefer LC brass, but it's gettin as scarce as hen's teeth to find at a decent price. IMI brass is great too. I use a lot of commercial REM brass for lighter/sortline loads. HTH.
    Steve

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    As far as your FAL bashing your brass, are you talking about the throat being dinged up and knocked out of round by the receiver as it is ejected? If this is what you are talking about, you can get these small felt patches (like what goes under furniture feet, or felt silence pads) cut to shape and apply a small patch on your receiver where the brass is kissing it. This will eliminate this problem. I usually stick one on before shooting multiple rounds just to minimize the kiss marks on my receiver and noticed it doesn't knock the brass out of round.
    I will post pics tonight, good luck on the ammo.....

PS: You may also check your gas setting, with the gas block closed too much the problem increases as well. KNOCKS the crap out of the receiver and brass flies almost as far as the bullets ;)

Top Bottom