308 vs 30-06?? whats the deal?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradaddict

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Hammond, la
    308 vs 30-06? why is 308 the general choice for snipers? i understand the avalibilty and price thing, but balisticly, whats the differance? and how big of a differance in accuracy out of two identical guns does it actually translate into? just currious, im sure someone knows. i passed up a nice used 700 for 250 bucks because it was 30-06.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I'll take a stab at this one, from purely academic knowledge I've gleaned on this subject via eavesdropping on more expert conversations.

The 7.62 x 51 NATO is the US round of choice for the sake of logistic concerns as much as performance. Whatever (very slight) disadvantage it has ballistically it more than makes up for in terms of portability, cost effectiveness, use in other weapon systems on the battlefield, and universal fielding by all NATO countries.

In factory firearms, it also tends to be more accurate due mostly to the tighter tolerance of short action rifles over their long action counterparts. This factor is pretty much non-existant when you're talking about custom guns, though. At the same time, I've heard something or other about more uniform burn rates in the .308, as well as a greater stiffness of the case lending itself to better accuracy-- although most people agree it's a very minor mechanical concern, and not a matter of practicality.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Everything Sin-ster said:

Just check out load data for each and you will see that velocities for bullets 165grains and under are virtually identical, and in some cases the 308 will actually produce higher velocities than the 30-06.

Other factors may include:
    shorter blolt stroke length for chambering next round = less movement to aid concealment and add speed.
    Availability of ammo.
    increased Strength of a shorter action (harmonics)
    Diameter to length ratio is in that sweet spot that allows very consistent ignition and expansion in the case volume.

I have been loading for many of the 308 variants. 7mm-08, 260 REM (6.5-08) is the latest caliber to win my favor. (mostly do to the Coef. of the 6.5 vs the 30cal)
    I only know one thing for certain. I shoot a 308 WIN, and if I had to pick one gun to make a shot. That's the gun I'd pick everytime.

Last edited:

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    All that is said in the above 2 posts is correct, but it really depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If you want a general hunting rifle, I doubt you would ever be able to tell the difference between a 308 and 30/06. Both would sevre you very well for medium range white tail hunting. If you want a long range target/sniper rifle, then 308 is most probably the way to go.

308 was developed by the military to replace the 30/06 with the same ballistics in a shorter case. This allows faster automatic weapons fire and allows a soldier to carry a little more ammo for the same weight.

If given a good deal on a 30/06 , I certainly wouldnt pass it up.

Jimbeaux

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    If given a good deal on a 30/06 , I certainly wouldnt pass it up.

+1

For 95% of the shooting population the difference between the two in the same brand is cost of ammo and gun weight (long action vs. short action). For the savvy reloader though, the .30-06 with a 1:10 twist can be pushed to outperform the .308 with a greater choice of projectiles and slower burning powders that are more suited to the larger case capacity. For example, a 210gr Berger bullet out of a .30-06 will be more stable and accurate at 1100yds than a 168gr SMK out of a .308. For hunting, the difference is negligable, but for target shooting there are advantages in the larger cartridge that can be utilized.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    For military sniper purposes, .308 has a logistical advantage due to it being a standard NATO cartridge.

For target work, the slight accuracy advantage of the .308 (and I do mean slight) may be worth a point or two or a few Xs at 600 yards and under. It is also a required cartridge for Palma shooting so anyone who wants to have a rifle that is versatile in that regard should pick the .308.

For target work beyond 600 yards, the .30-06 allows more velocity, especially with the heavier bullets. The wind advantage of this nullifies and overcomes any slight accuracy advantage the .308 may have.

For hunting, there is no reason to choose a .308 in a bolt gun. That is unless you have some desire for a short action or you just happen to find a .308 you like or you already have the ammo (dies, brass, etc.). The .30-06 will produce more velocity than the .308 in every bullet weight given the same chamber pressure. Using heavier bullets only accentuates this difference. I saw it said in an earlier post that the .308 was designed to give .30-06 ballistics in a shorter case. That is true, however, it was done by raising the chamber pressure of the .308 beyond what the then current pressures to which the .30-06 was being loaded. Loaded to the same pressures, the 10% additional case volume of the .30-06 provides a velocity advantage.

Get what you like. Both will serve you well. Neither your target, nor a deer will know the difference.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    308 vs 30-06? why is 308 the general choice for snipers? i understand the avalibilty and price thing, but balisticly, whats the differance? and how big of a differance in accuracy out of two identical guns does it actually translate into? just currious, im sure someone knows. i passed up a nice used 700 for 250 bucks because it was 30-06.

I don't think I would have passed up a nice used 700 for $250 if it didn't even have a barrel.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    You should have bought that rifle. Put it this way, every centerfire rifle I own is a lever action (and that's more than a few) except for one. A bolt action 30/06

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom