35 Whelen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chapelhill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Kosciusko, MS
    I have a CVA Apex 35 Whelen. I have had trouble getting my gun to group. I have tried several different brands of ammo some are better than others but none are very consistent. I was told that the scope base that comes with the could be flexing and causing the problem. I have Leupold rings and a zeiss conquest scope. When the scope was mounted lock tight was used. The other issue is I can't find a different base to fit the gun. Any suggestions?

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    Are you letting it cool after no more than 3 shots? some rifles i have sighted in i could only shoot 1 time and then let fully cool and then shoot again.
    #10034 game reaper high 1pc mount (should be the same holes as the cva stalker)

chapelhill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Kosciusko, MS
    I have been told that it's the scope base, I have been told the cva apex has head space issues, and that I need a larger hinge pin.

I am not sure what step to take next

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I wouldn't think its headspace issues if the rifle is firing every time you pull the trigger. If it was excessive headspace the hammer force would be driving the case forward instead of igniting the primer. If it was too little it would be hard to close the gun or not be able to at all. I'm wondring if it could be benefitted by a fix that is done to handirifles. Put a rubber o ring between the barrel and hand guard and over the handguard screw. this in effect free floats the barrel. You can also try shooting it with the handguard off to see if the handguard is the issue. When shooting the rifle off a rest, put the forward bag under the frame and not under the barrel. These tricks work on handirifles.

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    +1 on letting it cool. My 45-70 is the same way. If I let it cool for 5 minutes between shots I can get 3" groups at best. If I let it cool completely I can hold 1" groups pretty easy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom