.357 Magnum Primer Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Direwolf

Extremist
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2008
    Mandeville
    I have several manuals and some say to use small pistol magnum primers and others say just small pistol for loading .357 magnum rounds. I've also seen where only some powders require the magnum primer. Other friends of mine say they've never used magnums to load .357. Anybody know the real skinny or can you just tell me what you're using?

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I have used only "small pistol primers". I think "magnum" primers are needed for slow burning powders, which usually require a large powder charge to make the velocities.
    I hope someone else responds to this, I use regular primers for my .357 and my .44mag., and it would be interesting to find the definetive answer.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Most of my reloading books specify regular or magnum primers for my different .38/.357 loads. To make it easy, I use only magnum primers for all my .38/.357 loads. If a specific load is given for a regular primer, I just cut the charge by .5gr. Basically you can use either. Just remember to cut the non magnum charge.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Follow the loading manuals. Magnum primers can raise the pressure quite a bit with some loadings. If it doesn't specify magnum primers then don't use them. It depends also on whether or not your firearm is strong enough to handle higher pressures as to how safe you will be with increased pressures.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom