.38/.357 Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • macmail

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Any of you have a lever action rifle that shoots the .38/.357 cartridges? I've seen them in Rossi, Puma and Marlin. How do they shoot/behave? I've heard some don't like the .38 or some don't like the .357 and you can't shoot the heavier loads in them. Is this true or does it matter? This would be for fun and games mostly, not for taking of bear, buffalo or elephant hunting rifle. Any thoughts?

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    I really want one of these things... looks like a lot of fun... just dont know exactly what I would use it for other than target practice.

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    I too would think it would be a fun rifle, but I would hunt with it also. It think it would make a good 50yd, hell maybe even 100 yd rifle. Just use the Hornady Lever Revolution rounds, that are made for the rifle.

WB5QBK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Caddo Parish
    I heard that the newer Marlins are much better than my first production run variety. My 1894C will not shoot 38s reliably. Seating length is very critical or you WILL LEARN to dissassemble the rifle to get the ammunition out of it.

The microgroove rifling requires a hard cast bullett (or a jacketed bullet....I don't shoot jacketed pistol bullets).

I really liked shooting it, just had to make sure of ammo length.

I am told that the newer versions (mine was made in 1982 or so) will feed most anything.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I have a Marlin 357 and its a fun gun to shoot. Recoil is mild and its great on deer as well out to 100-125 yards. The rifle gets equivalent velocity as the 357 Maximum does in a T/C pistol and reloads can exceed this. I have a recipe with Liil Gun which will propel a 158gr JSP to over 2100fps and still be within SAAMI pressure limits. I run it a little slower at a little over 2000fps. WH Bonney dropped a nice buck at 100yards with a Rossi .357 rifle with one shot. Check out the hunting section.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I have the SS Rossi 92 in 357; 20" bbl; nice rifle for the price, I haven't had a chance to shoot anything outher than a few cans yet. I like it enuogh to want to buy another in either 44 mag or 45 colt.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    I have the Model 92 Rossi also .357.
    Just plink with it as I don't hunt and it is dead on at 50 yds, have'nt tried further distances.
    Vince Buckles did the action spring job for me and it is smoooooth :D

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Any of you have a lever action rifle that shoots the .38/.357 cartridges? I've seen them in Rossi, Puma and Marlin. How do they shoot/behave? I've heard some don't like the .38 or some don't like the .357 and you can't shoot the heavier loads in them. Is this true or does it matter? This would be for fun and games mostly, not for taking of bear, buffalo or elephant hunting rifle. Any thoughts?

I have a few of the Rossi/Puma/EMF lever guns in .357.

They are very accurate guns and work just fine. Very tough. One of mine, depending on which .357mag ammo I use dont cycle it very good.......just have to cycle it slow. I have not done an action job on it yet. When I get around to it, it should cycle them just fine. Killed a 9pt this year shooting .357.

macmail

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Soooo, I'm gathering that Puma, Rossi, EMF (made by Rossi?) and Marlin are all good. All will shoot and cycle .357 just fine and some may or may not shoot and cycle .38. All are good plinking utensils and whbonney26 has indeed killed deer with his.:)

Frankly the only hunting I do now is on the second shelf of the fridge where the leftover fried chicken is being guarded by the ninja cottage cheese. (Nasty, that stuff is). Anyway, sounds like I really can't go wrong with any of them. Is this about right?

Thanks for all of your insight.

macmail

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I have the marlin 44mag. It's fun to shoot, not a gun I would ever scope but the factory sights suck. Recommend getting some peep sights.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Have owned previously both Winchester 94 in .357 and Marlin 94 in .357 (but not at the same time). Had zero issues with either as far as loading either .38 or .357. Winchester was perhaps the stronger of the two, but also heavier by a tad. Stronger is somewhat misleading as either action will handle the heaviest .357 loads in them with ease.

In short, they are VERY handy rifles to have. Teamed up with a 6, 7, or 8 shot revolver they make, imo, a pretty effective defense duo with the simplicity of ammo procurement as a plus.

Sorry I sold either, but if I were buying again, I'd get the Marlin.

Just my .02.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    The only trouble I've had with .38s in mine were rounds that had a particularly short OAL. All the .38s I've fired out of it have been jacketed. I haven't had any problems with .357 mag factory round jacketed, lead, soft point, or hollowpoint.

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I have the Model 92 Rossi also .357.
    Just plink with it as I don't hunt and it is dead on at 50 yds, have'nt tried further distances.
    Vince Buckles did the action spring job for me and it is smoooooth :D

Who is Vince Buckles?
    The guy who specializes in the Rossis from texas has a six month waiting list for action jobs.

Top Bottom