38 Super

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I was watching one of the History shows on Sharp Shooters and now I have the urge to get another 38 Super. I am still kicking myself for not purchasing my uncle's pair of customized 38 super Colt Gold cups years ago. Not buying them and passing on a family friend's M16 are two of the dumbest mistakes I ever made.:(

So, aside from needing to reload and the fact that the pistol will more than likely be a money pit, is there any reason I shouldn't go with another .38 super?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Not sure on what brand you wanted to purchase

BUT CDNN is still running a special on their Taurus PT1911 in 38Super, IF I was to own a Taurus it would be the 1911 line as they seem to not suffer the same problems as the other models.

All black is $390
    Stainless is $430

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    ?????

You sure about that? They made a National Match example in .38 SPECIAL. But .38 Super, I don't think so. Unless it was a special run like the IPSC Edition... which was a Gold Cup .45 with an an e-nickle frame in a Zero/Halliburton case...

He was a gunsmith and rolled his own with Gold Cup National Match .45 ACP frames.

EDIT: Thanks Guate_shooter for the heads up on CDNN. Now, if only my FFL would pick up his dang phone. :(

Last edited:

uscbigdawg

One of the lucky few...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Shooters Paradise = Mesa, AZ
    38 Super is one of the most under rated calibers. For personal defense, its energy on target is on par with anything else out there. Versatility. Your bullet variety goes from 108's to 147's and there are heavier lead bullets. Accuracy. Yep...more than plenty accurate.

Mags are easy to get. You CAN buy factory ammunition relatively easily (but it is pricey). Reloading components are cheap as it's just like reloading for 9mm for most. I built up my brass supply (30k in the garage) over years of buying from folks switching from tride and true to the latest and greatest. I run 38 Super in my open pistols because simply...my gunsmith(s) know how to build guns and don't need to chamber mine in 38SC just to get it to run. 1 round increase in capacity is not an issue.

There are a number of good 38 Super 1911's out on the market, but the ones from Taurus are pretty sweet for the dollar.

Rich

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    38 super is so good that now Sig is trying to sell a similar (and yet inferior in my opinion) one called the 357 sig. :)

Dave

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    38 super is so good that now Sig is trying to sell a similar (and yet inferior in my opinion) one called the 357 sig. :)

Dave
    If this ain't the truth!! Bottle necked cases for a pistol? None for me, thanks anyway. I'll keep the old Super.

marmy7451

Bill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Livingston Parish
    I have 2 Sig P-220's in 38 Super, actually have the Browning name on them as they were the importer as the BDA (Browning Double Action) both are a pleasure to shoot and far more accurate than I am. Also have a Combat Commander with a lot of custom work including Bar-Sto 38 Super and 9mm barrels. Probably the most capable defense guns I have ever used. Back in my youth I was in LE and shot an assailant at 46 yards, no perceptible drop at that range.

Get a good one.

yaonttwo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Metairie
    Of the three 1911s I own, my SA parkerized mil-spec 38 super is my favorite. Accurate, dependable and has a ramped barrel.
    Hard to find as Springfield stopped making them 5-6 years ago. Gunbroker.com has them occasionally. Corbon and Georgia
    Arms carry good self-defense ammo.

Top Bottom