4 kids die in La. home fire, mom charged

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajunranger

Ghost
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    DeRidder
    Four unattended children died in a mobile home fire in Louisiana and their mother was charged Sunday with four counts of negligent homicide for allegedly leaving them alone, authorities said.

Capt. Doug Cain, a spokesman for Louisiana Department of Public Safety, told The Associated Press that the fire began just before midnight Saturday in the town of Rayne, about 70 miles west of Baton Rouge in southern Louisiana.

Cain said the children who died were ages 2, 5, 7 and 8. He said their mother, 26-year-old Shaqueta McDade, was arrested and charged with four counts of negligent homicide. She was being held at the Acadia County Jail.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-4-kids-die-la-home-fire-mom-215903912.html

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Maybe. Maybe not. Guttweiler walked. If a tenth of what I heard was true on that case and the evidence that wasn't allowed in court, she should have fried.

"Guttweiler"? Not familiar with that one. What happened in that case?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    "Guttweiler"? Not familiar with that one. What happened in that case?

Same thing. She was running errands, went to the bank, her house burned with her three children in it. The prosecution and lead investigation were absolutely positive she did it. But according to hearsay, evidence was contaminated. Within hours, the house and remaining evidence was bulldozed. The type of arson forensics the investigation was counting on is hotly debated. Meanwhile years go by, she moves to North Carolina, remarries, comes back home, stands trial and is for the most part, not guilty of murder. (that's the Dateline tv show version)

Depending on who you talk to, she is overwhelmingly guilty (my opinion) or sadly portrayed as a heartbroken struggling mother who made a mistake. (Dateline's)

Google Amanda Gutweiler. It's there.

My father is hunting buddies with one of the people involved. It was heartbreakingly clear that the prosecution truly deeply thoroughly believed that she murdered those children. Spec and I had a marital bet that there would be a post trial retirement. It was one of those cases that took years off a person.

Edit to add: she did serve time and she did plea but... She eventually walked.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    'IF' she was indeed out 'WORKING', I can understand, but not excuse her actions.

If she was out screwing off, she should fry.

There's NO excuse to leave four kids under 8 years old home alone. I don't care if she was out curing cancer all night, no better in my book.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    There's NO excuse to leave four kids under 8 years old home alone. I don't care if she was out curing cancer all night, no better in my book.

Like I said, I'd agree ;) /fine print/ I just said I could understand her reasoning, not excuse it.

Doesn't matter anyway, Bitch was out partying supposedly.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Also just heard on the radio that the "kids were left unattended the night before, but were returned to their mother." I'm assuming the popo/CPS took the kids from the sound of it, and were subsequently returned earlier the day they were killed. If so, just another example of the system failing...

ETA: or it was a concerned neighbor, who should be feeling pretty crappy right now about not not involving the authorities.

Last edited:

apso1857

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Crowley, LA
    Was just told my mothers first cousin, that mother was at the club when it happened...

Lets just say, that I have a "lil more info" into this case, and I am hearing the same thing. Also this isn't the first time she was reported to the local PD for the same thing. Unfortunately CPS is about useless around here and in this case it cost these poor children their lives.

Also a similar incident happened around same time in Crowley in which a babysitter caused the death of the infant she was watching. She also has been charged.

I hate to say it, but this is becoming more and more common everywhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom