40 S&W 200 gr RN Bayou Bullet Load Data

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roundabout

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Central Louisiana
    Anybody have any experience using the Bayou 200's they'd like to share? I'd like to find some data using Titegroup but I'm open to using other powders.
    I'm trying not to use my N320, but if there is nothing better, then that's what I'll do. I'm not necessarily trying to make Major, just somewhere between Major and Minor.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Heres what Brian gave me (he found it on his computer in the shop) It seems to work nicely in my xdm 40 but I havn't clocked it. Heres the website he pulled it from: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load_1.asp
    200gn bayou
    OAL 1.125

starting load:
    WSF powder 4.4gns
    expected velocity 786
    expected pressure 27,300psi

max load:
    WSF powder 4.8gns
    expected velocity 867
    expected pressure 33,100psi

Hope this helps!

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I spent quite a bit of time working up loads using this bullet. I wanted a accurate load that would meet major PF without the "snappy" recoil the .40 is famous for. With titegroup the recoil got uncomfortable before I reached power factor. My favorite load turned out to work great in both the M&P Pro I had an now in my S&W 610. Accurate, PF= 170, and can shoot comfortably all day.
    200 gr BBRN
    WST 4.1 gr
    COAL = 1.130
    Federal SP primer

roundabout

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Central Louisiana
    What we have here is another common dilemma. I have neither WSF or WST, but I have a bunch of other crap that I've experimented with over the years but not those two. I would agree that Titegroup isn't the best choice. One of the powders in my collection is Ramshot Silhouette. I broke out a powder chart that lists powders in order of burn rate and Silhouette is slower than the usual suspects (Titegroup, N320, 231, Unique, etc.) as well as WST. I figure with the heavier bullet, slower might be better so I loaded just a few to try (25) and the accuracy was there. 4.8 grains seated way out (1.195") didn't quiet make major in my 6". I didn't find the recoil impulse to be particularly undesirable; however, I didn't have any of my other match ammo to compare it to. I'm going to load another 500 with 5.0 grains of Silhouette, but I'm also going to load 500 with N320 so I'll have something to compare against the Silhouette load. I'll try to post my conclusions on this bullet powder combination after I've shot enough to give an educated report on it.

A crony of mine said he might have some WST so if he does, I might get it and give it a try. Thanks for the posts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom