40 S&W load data

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Chackbay,La
    I am looking for help with high and low loads for 40 S&W 180 grain lead (Bayou Bullets) using Titegroup. I called Titegroup today and they refused to give me any load data cause I was shooting lead they were pretty much cut and dry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    You will need to stay on the short side with the XDM. Start with the load given above (3.2 gr @ 1.135" OAL) and increase your charge 0.10gr until you are happy with the load or you begin to see pressure signs, then back off a tenth or two. Yhere are much better powders out there than TG for 180 gr 40s&w. the pressure can spike really fast with TG. Be very careful whiile working your load up.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I found that at 1.135 OAL, about 4.0g with 180g BB gave me ~930 FPS with a G35 and KKM barrel. Start below that and work up. TiteGroup is not very forgiving if you go too far over too fast. I use N320 for my major loads, as I found it softer shooting for the same velocity as TG. Now for minor loads, TG had a much smaller standard deviation between shots than N320 and grouped better.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    As mentioned, Titegroup is sensitive toward max loads. It is also pretty temperature sensitive. I don't have any experience with it in 40, I use N320 and Clays when I can't find Vihtavuori.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Usually it's the magazine that limits OAL. 9mm and 40 XD's are built on the same frame, the 1.20" OAL is closer to 45acp length. Custom 1911 pistols are built on 45acp frames and have their chambers cut deeper to allow for longer ammo. Longer OAL is much more fogriving which is why many that compete with 40S&W do so with the 1911 platform.

Mrron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Addis, LA
    I just started reloading I tried the 180g bayou bullets in my sig2022 with 5.0g bullseye at 1.136 OAL- shot fantastic. Well i can't find any bullseye so I got clays and unique. Any users got data to try. Also have 158g .38sp is there a thread for that?

Top Bottom