40" target from a mile away?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I saw a post on another site of some guy claiming to hit a 40" x 40" target from a mile away. Of course this was with a .50BMG rifle.

I want to know, how many people think this is true or BS?

Danny

USMC DM
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    NE Louisiana
    To your question yes it is possible, they have 1 mile shoots across the country even in a smaller rifle caliber.

I was skimming through a book of a friends that is into presicion shooting and they had a guy in there that shot a .308 at a 12"x12" steel target from more than 3100 yards = (1.7 miles or 9300 feet). The scope on it was about 8"-10" tall off the base.

I searched the web but must have asked the wrong thing, but I will email him and ask the guys name and when it happened.

Pops

Old but not dead .
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    EBR Parish
    The trajectory of a .308 at 1.7 miles must be something akin to an artillery round . What's the point ? I guess , so you can say you did it . :D

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Nomad Has a barret and Just went though a barret shooting course.He did it.I think it would be a good skill to have under your belt.But that is a expencive skill to hone.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    To your question yes it is possible, they have 1 mile shoots across the country even in a smaller rifle caliber.

I was skimming through a book of a friends that is into presicion shooting and they had a guy in there that shot a .308 at a 12"x12" steel target from more than 3100 yards = (1.7 miles or 9300 feet). The scope on it was about 8"-10" tall off the base.

I searched the web but must have asked the wrong thing, but I will email him and ask the guys name and when it happened.
    I have the mag that this was taken from. It had picts of the targets, this one doesn't. It would take me days to find the original story, so here is a copy.

http://www.northfloridashooting.com/Misc/2MilePrarieDogs/2MilePrarieDogShooters.htm

Art

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    personally, i don't think that is a necessary skill. if the shtf, so what if you can hit a target that is stationary from that distance? do the bad guys in Iraq just sit there in the open, i'd guess prob not. when i go hunting, do the animals just sit there in the exact same spot? no.

besides that, the BZ range is only 250 yds at best from berm to berm. (took a kite string that was marked every 50yds and walked the whole thing). how many people that go there are hitting small targets with open sights? i'll be the first to admit i need more practice.

i just don't think in our geographical environment here in SE Louisiana, hitting a stationary target from 1 mile aways is:
    1. a necessary skill
    2. an option, considering our dense tree/vegetation growth.

just my two cents.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    personally, i don't think that is a necessary skill. if the shtf, so what if you can hit a target that is stationary from that distance? do the bad guys in Iraq just sit there in the open, i'd guess prob not. when i go hunting, do the animals just sit there in the exact same spot? no.

besides that, the BZ range is only 250 yds at best from berm to berm. (took a kite string that was marked every 50yds and walked the whole thing). how many people that go there are hitting small targets with open sights? i'll be the first to admit i need more practice.

i just don't think in our geographical environment here in SE Louisiana, hitting a stationary target from 1 mile aways is:
    1. a necessary skill

just my two cents.
    If shtf I would want a long range rifle on my side.Theres a lot of areas you could use them in a urban warfare senario.So if you mesured the BZ what was the actual length you came up with?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central

1. a necessary skill

just my two cents.
    Yep . From my property , the longest possible open shot would be less than 200 yards . Just one way of looking at things .

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    personally, i don't think that is a necessary skill. if the shtf, so what if you can hit a target that is stationary from that distance? do the bad guys in Iraq just sit there in the open, i'd guess prob not..

They have been known to sit in vehicles and get their asses shot at long distances

when i go hunting, do the animals just sit there in the exact same spot? no. ..
    Do you shoot deer on the run or do you wait for your shot then drop them when they stop or are walking slowly

how many people that go there are hitting small targets with open sights? i'll be the first to admit i need more practice.
    I need more practice; but I use a scope when i want to make an accurate shot, read about some of the guys here at Palo Alto that are making 600yd shots with open sights

1. a necessary skill
    The Causeway which is about 3 miles from my house is 24 miles long with no obstructions just a few hills/rises

It is possible.
    I don' think it is a necessary skill that everyone obtain; I wish I had that skill and am glad that some of our soldiers have this skill both men and women. The Airforce has them

I don't know how much you know about our military snipers; but read up on the late great Carlos Hathcock he ocassionally used the .50-caliber M2 Browning Machine Gun, on which he mounted the Unertl scope, using a bracket of his own design.[verification needed] This weapon was accurate to 2500 yards when fired one round at a time. At one point, he took careful aim at a courier carrying a load of assault rifles and ammunition on a bicycle. He had second thoughts when he saw a 12-year-old boy in his sights, but after considering the intended use of those weapons, he fired, hitting the bicycle frame. The boy tumbled over the handlebars and grabbed a gun, so Hathcock killed him.

the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Furlong

Sniper-1.jpg

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I saw a post on another site of some guy claiming to hit a 40" x 40" target from a mile away. Of course this was with a .50BMG rifle.

I want to know, how many people think this is true or BS?

Very possible, and a great skill to have in the right situation.

A caravan of BG's coming down the interstate...much rather start taking them out from a mile away when a few hundred yards.

Penetration of a .50bmg is nice...

What SHTF situation do I mean?

Who knows...no one knows what they will really be like.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Flight time has got to be at least 4 seconds. It would be very hard to hit a moving target, especially a vehicle. I guess if you were head on, it wouldn't matter... but a side shot would be difficult at best.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    With the military snipers they practice all the scenarios moving, raining, humidity, hot as hell etc... they get paid to practice on our dime which is fine with me.

Not to take away from police snipers; but they hae a different set of rules almost than the military.

The police are usually in a safe/secure situation not having to worry about people to their left and right being combatants etc... they get as close as humanly possible to the taget w/o being in harms way.

The military sniper stays as far away as possible, but within range knowing he can make the shot. I would be willing to bet in Iraq and Afganastan there isn't too many stalks/slug trails taking place.

How close was this shot taken? How big is a pistol 2 inches? So 2 MOA at 100yd?
    [YOUTUBE]QyE8MPxLnZY[/YOUTUBE]

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    i usually hunt pigs in the swamp from the bow of a boat with a trolling motor to reduce noise, alligator, frogs, ducks/teal, etc...never did deer before

the BZ from the bottom of the berm to the back was just shy of 250 yds (maybe 235-245). i spray painted a pink spot on the kite string every 50yds as a reference guide.

sure, the causeway is 24 miles long. but realistically, if you're defending your property, etc...i doubt many of us have a good mile of clear space. at best i would geuss a couple of hundred yards, if that.

anything else?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Very possible, but unlikely THAT guy did it. Also seems like a funny coincidence considering they JUST did that shot on an episode of Future Weapons.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    CAJUNTIM: the guy is not holding a bolt action rifle (notice the forward assist, etc...), yet it says he used a bolt action

just an observation

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom