.44 caliber percussion black powder revolver questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jorfontenot08

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    lafayette
    I'm looking into getting a revolver like this, http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0519286, the only this i dont know much about them and i have a few questions.

1. Can you use sabots instead of ball ammo?

2. is ball ammo pretty accurate?

3. what is a good way to start learning to shoot black powder pistols and rifles?

4. does it get expensive to shoot these guns?

5. what is some basic knowledge or any book i should know about?

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I'm looking into getting a revolver like this, http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0519286, the only this i dont know much about them and i have a few questions.

1. Can you use sabots instead of ball ammo?

2. is ball ammo pretty accurate?

3. what is a good way to start learning to shoot black powder pistols and rifles?

4. does it get expensive to shoot these guns?

5. what is some basic knowledge or any book i should know about?

1. Sabots are right out, but there are solid lead conicals on the market (which load identically to round balls).

2. I can keep all 6 shots touching at 10 paces from my 1860 Army model.

3. There are numerous good handbooks, such as the one from Lyman. Or, you can ask around on the net.

4. No worse than a lot of modern pistol calibers.

5. see answer #3

I actually used to tote my 1860 for defense; they can be a lot more reliable if PROPERLY loaded. Also, the brass framed guns tend to not hold up near as well as the ones with steel frames.

Jorfontenot08

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    lafayette
    Thanks! i appreciate it.

I have a Texas drivers license and i like these types of guns so i was thinking about possibly using it in my truck or house as a PDW. How long can you keep them loaded for until it become unreliable?

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Check out this link for some basic information, and PM me with any questions, or if you want to get together and shoot some before you buy. Pale Horse is correct about brass framed revolvers...spend a little more and get a steel framed Colt 1860 or 1858 Remington in .44, and don't discount the 1851 Colt in .36...one of the best guns ever made. If I could pick only one, though, it would be the 1861 Colt Navy, in my opinion the most beautiful gun ever made.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...r-hand-gunning&p=734829&highlight=#post734829

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Thanks! i appreciate it.

I have a Texas drivers license and i like these types of guns so i was thinking about possibly using it in my truck or house as a PDW. How long can you keep them loaded for until it become unreliable?

I've gone 6 months multiple times without any problems with one that was PROPERLY loaded. Correct sized balls and the right percussion caps work soooooooo much better.

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks! i appreciate it.

I have owned and shot these fine revolvers for more than 25 years...believe me when I say that there is too damn much that can go wrong with one of these to rely on one in any way for personal defense. Don't do it unless you intend to use it as a club.

Last edited:

Jorfontenot08

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    lafayette
    Thanks guys i appreciate it! Csbutton, i would gladly take you up on that offer sometime. I would probably start off with a remington if you say they are more accurate and built sturdier. I would also probably go with a .44 but you are right i wouldnt discount a .36 cal. Ill let you know if i have any more questions, im going to look for a few of those books and see what else i can just learn about the history.

Edit: i have a 12 guage shot gun that usually has 5 rounds of 00buckshot in the tube ready to go. plus im not too worried about someone tryin to break in, though you cant be too careful. and you are right i wouldnt rely on it, it would more or less just be easier to shoot someone with a single bullet instead of messing up my house with a shotgun

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I use 777 or Pyrodex P powder in my revolver. Get some round balls and some wonderwads to go over the powder before seating the ball to prevent chain firing.
    mine have been accurate enough to hunt with at 25 yards or so.
    I like the Remington steel frame with better sighting arrangement than the colt types with a notch in the hammer for a rear sight. Cabelas often has them on sale and i like the shorter barreled model than the 7.5" barrel for ease of packing. 777 is more energetic powder and takes about a 10-15% decrease in load volume to get the same results as pyrodex. Pyrodex also comes on 30gr pellets for use in revolvers.
    If you get a 44 you will be using 451-454 diameter balls for shooting. I have found round balls to be the most accurate.
    Probably about like a 38 special in power with a larger diameter bullet.

mini14

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    It's one of these.

photo2-1.jpg

Top Bottom